Old 07-01-2003, 11:09 PM
Stephen Howard

Default ( OT..ish ) Marrow Harrow

Having consumed rather too much rum whilst watching the annual
spectacle that is Embassy world darts, I staggered upstairs to bed.
The wife ( for it is she ) had sneakily placed all manner of obstacles
in the way, thus ensuring I didn't sneak into bed at some unearthly
hour and claim that I had, in fact, come to bed just after she dozed
off.

Nett result is that I stumbled on what felt like a pile of washing...
and instinctively reached out my hand to prevent myself taking a
semi-inebriated tumble.

Unfortunately, for me, my hand came to rest on a marrow that I'd
stashed in the bedroom ( we have no heating upstairs...so each bedroom
is graced with a number of these fat, green beasts ).
Even more unfortunately the marrow turned out to be, well, on the
turn... and my hand split the marrow with a curiously satisfying
'splooosh'.

About a second later the light went on - and my wife was entertained
by the spectacle of a bleary-eyed, naked man holding up a hand with
the dripping remains of half a rancid marrow attached to it.

Her words?
'Please tell me this is a nightmare'.

The only reply I could think of was 'Well, there goes another dinner'.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 08-01-2003, 12:54 AM

On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 23:09:27 +0000, Stephen Howard
wrote:

About a second later the light went on - and my wife was entertained
by the spectacle of a bleary-eyed, naked man holding up a hand with
the dripping remains of half a rancid marrow attached to it.

Are you sure you have the correct newsgroup?
--
stuart
is at news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk
Old 08-01-2003, 04:53 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Stephen Howard
writes
snip...

About a second later the light went on - and my wife was entertained
by the spectacle of a bleary-eyed, naked man holding up a hand with
the dripping remains of half a rancid marrow attached to it.

Her words?
'Please tell me this is a nightmare'.

The only reply I could think of was 'Well, there goes another dinner'.

A lovely garden produce tale. I've had a lot of fun imagining variations
on the 'words' which may have been used by other women faced with the
same scenario. :-))
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:51 AM
Sue

"Stephen Howard" wrote

snip story
Her words?
'Please tell me this is a nightmare'.

lol!

You see, it's times like that she needs one of those new photo-phone
thingies that Mr Posh-Beckham's been advertising. Then she could send us
all a copy of the dire proof.

--
Sue

Old 08-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 04:53:54 +0000, Alan Gould
wrote:

In article , Stephen Howard
writes
snip...

About a second later the light went on - and my wife was entertained
by the spectacle of a bleary-eyed, naked man holding up a hand with
the dripping remains of half a rancid marrow attached to it.

Her words?
'Please tell me this is a nightmare'.

The only reply I could think of was 'Well, there goes another dinner'.

A lovely garden produce tale. I've had a lot of fun imagining variations
on the 'words' which may have been used by other women faced with the
same scenario. :-))

Ten bob says you thought of the classic ' is that a rancid marrow in
your hand, or are you just pleased to see me?'

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 08-01-2003, 07:18 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Stephen Howard
writes
A lovely garden produce tale. I've had a lot of fun imagining variations
on the 'words' which may have been used by other women faced with the
same scenario. :-))

Ten bob says you thought of the classic ' is that a rancid marrow in
your hand, or are you just pleased to see me?'

More like "You'd better wash that before you use it" ;-)
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:04 AM
Scott L. Hadley

One of the reasons I love this ng, beyond furthering my gardening education,
is the added benefit of never knowing when I will turn up one of these
little treasures. But at risk of appearing naive, I wonder if you can tell
me about this new use (new to me) of the word marrow. Help this silly guy in
the States, please(?) What is it---Best I can come up with is the vegetable
known here as squash.Thanks in advance

Old 12-01-2003, 06:25 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Scott L. Hadley
writes
One of the reasons I love this ng, beyond furthering my gardening education,
is the added benefit of never knowing when I will turn up one of these
little treasures. But at risk of appearing naive, I wonder if you can tell
me about this new use (new to me) of the word marrow. Help this silly guy in
the States, please(?) What is it---Best I can come up with is the vegetable
known here as squash.Thanks in advance

Good point Scott. In this context, the word 'marrow' is one of those
quaint English language terms used mainly by UK gardeners to describe an
equally quaint vegetable in the cucurbita family. More correctly its
name is Vegetable Marrow, but the first part of that term is seldom
used. In US you are probably right in thinking of it as a variety of
squash, though that could be a bit misleading according to what you
believe a marrow or a squash to be.

Chambers English Dictionary describes Vegetable Marrow as a variety of
pumpkin (or akee fruit) "cooked as a vegetable". CED also refers to a
'Marrow-Squash'. Dr.W.E.Shewell in his book 'The Complete Vegetable
Grower' says "It is a member, of course, of what may be called the
cucumber family .... most delicious eaten half grown .... etc." Prof.
Lawrence D.Hills in his book 'Grow your own Fruit and Vegetables' likens
marrows to pumpkins but advises growers that the traditional monster
marrow is very poor value for space. Hills also refers to 'smaller
marrows' such as courgettes, cocozelles, Vegetable Spaghetti and
ornamental gourds. RHS Enc. of Gardening associated marrows or vegetable
marrows with summer squashes and suggests that courgettes are marrows
harvested young.

I personally think of a marrow as an overgrown courgette (zucchini),
or like RHS one could see a courgette as an immature marrow. If a huge
vegetable marrow is actually required (mainly for show or show-off
purposes) varieties like Green Bush are better than overgrown
courgettes/zucchinis which are a superb vegetable if harvested and used
very small and young.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:37 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Scott L. Hadley
writes
One of the reasons I love this ng, beyond furthering my gardening education,
is the added benefit of never knowing when I will turn up one of these
little treasures. But at risk of appearing naive, I wonder if you can tell
me about this new use (new to me) of the word marrow. Help this silly guy in
the States, please(?) What is it---Best I can come up with is the vegetable
known here as squash.Thanks in advance

Think of a summer squash, with light green skin with broad longitudinal
stripes, about 8 inches diameter and 2ft long. Very light green flesh,
almost transparent so you can see the veins in it. You can peel them and
steam slices of them to use as a vegetable with an astonishing lack of
taste, but they are better filled with minced beef and baked - baked
whole is good but for the average sized family a few rings will suffice.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

Old 12-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Scott L. Hadley

Thank you, and Alan, for the replies to my confused query, and thanks to one
who replied by email. And thanks to the OP for the good chuckle. All of this
proving once again the value to me of this newsgroup as education and
amusement, though I am mostly a lurker---Thanks again.

Old 12-01-2003, 11:12 PM

"Scott L. Hadley" wrote in message
: Thank you, and Alan, for the replies to my confused query, and thanks to
one
: who replied by email. And thanks to the OP for the good chuckle. All of
this
: proving once again the value to me of this newsgroup as education and
: amusement, though I am mostly a lurker---Thanks again.

There is an old Cockney term pronounced - Me Ol' Marrer - translated as My
Old Friend. Don't ask me to explain!

: "Kay Easton" wrote in message Think of a
summer
: squash, with light green skin with broad longitudinal
: stripes, about 8 inches diameter and 2ft long. Very light green flesh,
: almost transparent so you can see the veins in it. You can peel them and
: steam slices of them to use as a vegetable with an astonishing lack of
: taste, but they are better filled with minced beef and baked - baked
: whole is good but for the average sized family a few rings will suffice.
: --
: Kay Easton
:
: http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
: -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Old 13-01-2003, 04:21 AM
Alan Gould

In article , K
writes

There is an old Cockney term pronounced - Me Ol' Marrer - translated as My
Old Friend. Don't ask me to explain!

No problem K! Another definition of 'marrow' is a mate or companion and
to marrow is to couple. Chambers gives it as North English dialect and
says it is of unknown origin, but it would seem to be associated with
the word marriage. Some Cockneys might use it, but they are more likely
to refer to Me dear ol' Dutch (Duchess) or the Trouble 'n Strife (wife).
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 13-01-2003, 10:17 AM

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
: In article , K
: writes
:
: There is an old Cockney term pronounced - Me Ol' Marrer - translated as
My
: Old Friend. Don't ask me to explain!
:
: No problem K! Another definition of 'marrow' is a mate or companion and
: to marrow is to couple. Chambers gives it as North English dialect and
: says it is of unknown origin, but it would seem to be associated with
: the word marriage. Some Cockneys might use it, but they are more likely
: to refer to Me dear ol' Dutch (Duchess) or the Trouble 'n Strife (wife).
: --
: Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Thanks. After I posted, I wondered if it was, in fact, Cockney rhyming
slang, cos I couldn't think what it would have rhymed with.

Old 13-01-2003, 10:27 AM
PaulK

"K" wrote in message

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
: In article , K
: writes
:
: There is an old Cockney term pronounced - Me Ol' Marrer - translated as
My
: Old Friend. Don't ask me to explain!
:
: No problem K! Another definition of 'marrow' is a mate or companion and
: to marrow is to couple. Chambers gives it as North English dialect and
: says it is of unknown origin, but it would seem to be associated with
: the word marriage. Some Cockneys might use it, but they are more likely
: to refer to Me dear ol' Dutch (Duchess) or the Trouble 'n Strife (wife).
: --
: Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Thanks. After I posted, I wondered if it was, in fact, Cockney rhyming
slang, cos I couldn't think what it would have rhymed with.

"marra" is Cumbrian for mate, friend pal.

pk

disk harrow and 3 point plow Mike North Carolina 1 19-08-2005 02:26 AM
Marrow and Squash flowers compo United Kingdom 7 24-06-2005 12:25 AM
12 inch disc for sears disc harrow Ray Cook Gardening 0 21-03-2004 03:12 PM
marrow problem R United Kingdom 6 06-06-2003 11:08 AM
marrow problem R United Kingdom 0 05-06-2003 08:44 AM