Spraying block drive question

Old 10-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Brian Hallett

Default Spraying block drive question

My large block drive and patio areas ( which are not in contact with
flower beds ) have become very weedy since autumn. I intend to spray
them with a long-lasting weed-killer and would like to know
1. What inexpensive spray gun to use, and
2. What long-lasting weed killer to use.
Thank you
Old 11-01-2003, 05:56 PM
bnd777

Let that be a lesson to all who invest large sums in block paved drives
...........weeds !!!!!!!

Old 11-01-2003, 07:05 PM
Martin Sykes

I just used a standard systemic weedkiller on my drive. I think it was
Tumbleweed. It's not particularly long-lasting so you need to re-apply
whenever new weeds show up but I'm happy with the results. It only takes 5
minutes to wander round and spray the weeds individually.

I have seen adverts for really nasty chemicals - can't remember their
names - which stop anything growing for 60-odd years. I'd be worried about
using them though as probably a lot would be washed off your drive into the
drains and out into the rivers where it could do real damage.

Martin

Old 12-01-2003, 06:26 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Brian Hallett
writes
My large block drive and patio areas ( which are not in contact with
flower beds ) have become very weedy since autumn. I intend to spray
them with a long-lasting weed-killer and would like to know
1. What inexpensive spray gun to use, and
2. What long-lasting weed killer to use.
Thank you

We slice off weeds which grow between paving slabs with a spade. They
grow again of course, but then they do that following an application of
most popular weed-killers. A 'long-lasting' herbicide would be
sufficiently toxic to be unsuitable for use in areas used by children,
pets or visitors.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:57 PM
cormaic

'Twas Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:25:02 +0000, when Brian Hallett
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

My large block drive and patio areas ( which are not in contact with
flower beds ) have become very weedy since autumn. I intend to spray
them with a long-lasting weed-killer and would like to know
1. What inexpensive spray gun to use, and

Watering can with fine rose.

2. What long-lasting weed killer to use.

Sodium Chlorate, then treat the driveway with a top quality
urethane sealant, summat like Resiblock 22, which will keep the weeds
at bay for a good 3-5 years.

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk
Old 12-01-2003, 04:59 PM
Kay Easton

In article , cormaic
writes
'Twas Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:25:02 +0000, when Brian Hallett
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

My large block drive and patio areas ( which are not in contact with
flower beds ) have become very weedy since autumn. I intend to spray
them with a long-lasting weed-killer and would like to know
1. What inexpensive spray gun to use, and

Watering can with fine rose.

2. What long-lasting weed killer to use.

Sodium Chlorate, then treat the driveway with a top quality
urethane sealant, summat like Resiblock 22, which will keep the weeds
at bay for a good 3-5 years.

Doesn't sodium chlorate tend to leach sideways?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 13-01-2003, 11:25 AM
cormaic

'Twas Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:59:36 +0000, when Kay Easton
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

Doesn't sodium chlorate tend to leach sideways?

It leaches every which way, but it's still the preferred
herbicide in the construction industry. Even your beloved HA insist on
its use! :~)

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/
Warrington Paving - www.pavingexpert.com/
Peoples' Republic of South Lancashire

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk

Unilock Block 15,000 gal raised ponds Dennis Ponds 0 09-04-2003 03:44 AM
Off Topic Hard Drive Recall Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 15-03-2003 11:56 PM
Creeping jenny question jammer Gardening 3 07-03-2003 09:44 PM
Concrete Block Dan Ponds 5 07-03-2003 03:12 PM
Newbie question about soil in raised beds pgh Gardening 10 25-02-2003 07:27 PM