Old 25-03-2005, 05:12 AM
Brian Mitchell

Default Fenitrothian

In the Expert book of fruit, Dr Hessayon recommends spraying apples and
pears with fenitrothian as a preventative against apple sawfly.

Last year was a bumper year for apples, but also for sawfly, so I had a
lot of very badly scarred and malformed fruit, most of which went to the
wasps. I've been looking around for fenitrothian but with no success;
garden centres and nurseries I've asked haven't heard of it.

Does anyone here know whether its still obtainable? Is it the main
ingredient of a brand-name spray which is available? Or is this one of
the substances no longer legal.

If that's the case, what do the fruit-growers of URG use to protect
against large scale insect predation? Any suggestions? It's
disheartening to have a whole crop lost or spoiled and not be able to do
anything about it.

Any suggestions and advice welcomed...

Brian Mitchell
Old 25-03-2005, 10:00 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Brian Mitchell wrote:
In the Expert book of fruit, Dr Hessayon recommends spraying apples and
pears with fenitrothian as a preventative against apple sawfly.

Last year was a bumper year for apples, but also for sawfly, so I had a
lot of very badly scarred and malformed fruit, most of which went to the
wasps. I've been looking around for fenitrothian but with no success;
garden centres and nurseries I've asked haven't heard of it.

Does anyone here know whether its still obtainable? Is it the main
ingredient of a brand-name spray which is available? Or is this one of
the substances no longer legal.

It is certainly forbidden for sale to private individuals. Whether it
is illegal to use it, it is used by the ton commercially or what, I
can't say.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.