Old 23-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Growth rates (Rose Kiftsgate, Halesia monticola)

Rosa filipes "Kiftsgate" is described as vigorous, but liking sun.
How much does it grow in a season when small, especially when it
gets only a little sun (it will get more as it grows)?

And similarly for Halesia monticola.

Both are in good loam.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-03-2005, 02:19 PM
John Taverner

Rosa filipes "Kiftsgate" is described as vigorous, but liking sun.
How much does it grow in a season when small, especially when it
gets only a little sun (it will get more as it grows)?

Kiftsgate being vigorous is a little of an understaement. A friend gave me
two cuttings of this wild animal, they struck easily and are in good loam in
a salty enviro. They were planted to cover an unsightly garage and have gone
over the piched roof in three seasons and accelerating.

--
John Taverner
Llangwm

Old 23-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
John Taverner wrote:
Rosa filipes "Kiftsgate" is described as vigorous, but liking sun.
How much does it grow in a season when small, especially when it
gets only a little sun (it will get more as it grows)?

Kiftsgate being vigorous is a little of an understaement. A friend gave me
two cuttings of this wild animal, they struck easily and are in good loam in
a salty enviro. They were planted to cover an unsightly garage and have gone
over the piched roof in three seasons and accelerating.

Thanks. It has a 20+' hazel to climb up. I was a bit taken aback
by Bean's description of one 60'x40'x30' :-)

Never mind Brer Rabbit, that's big enough to hide Brer Bear!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Flora

John Taverner wrote:

Kiftsgate being vigorous is a little of an understaement. A friend gave me
two cuttings of this wild animal, they struck easily and are in good loam in
a salty enviro. They were planted to cover an unsightly garage and have gone
over the piched roof in three seasons and accelerating.

My neighbour, with a tiny garden, asked me if Kiftsgate was a nice rose.
I replied warmly in the affimative, and was just about to comment on its
unsuitability for any but the largest garden, when she said, "oh good,
I've just ordered a dozen"

She planted two of them on our common boundary, then sold up and moved.
Fifteen years later, I still have to wage a constant battle against them.

Flora

Old 23-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Sacha

On 23/3/05 14:36, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
John Taverner wrote:
Rosa filipes "Kiftsgate" is described as vigorous, but liking sun.
How much does it grow in a season when small, especially when it
gets only a little sun (it will get more as it grows)?

Kiftsgate being vigorous is a little of an understaement. A friend gave me
two cuttings of this wild animal, they struck easily and are in good loam in
a salty enviro. They were planted to cover an unsightly garage and have gone
over the piched roof in three seasons and accelerating.

Thanks. It has a 20+' hazel to climb up. I was a bit taken aback
by Bean's description of one 60'x40'x30' :-)

Never mind Brer Rabbit, that's big enough to hide Brer Bear!

It's a gorgeous monster. I knew one that had overtaken a fully grown walnut
tree and come across into my garden and colonised a couple of trees in
there. It's not a rose to be planted lightly but it is wonderful when given
its head.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

It's a gorgeous monster. I knew one that had overtaken a fully grown walnut
tree and come across into my garden and colonised a couple of trees in
there. It's not a rose to be planted lightly but it is wonderful when given
its head.

I may have been over-ambitious, but the hazel is actually several,
and there is a mature walnut tree next door - it is also 15 yards
from the nearest house.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Malcolm wrote:

Its thorns are something else. If it could be made into a hedge, your
property would never be trespassed upon. Lots of huge and incredibly
sharp thorns. Dealing with it at the end of each summer takes not just
leather gauntlets but something approaching body armour, too :-)

Thanks. I have planted it in a corner where nobody need go at all
regularly, though I shall have to remove shoots that go sideways
in one direction. If I can keep it going up, it should cause no
trouble, but I may have to remove it eventually when it starts
coming down again. I may employ someone to do it :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-03-2005, 06:26 PM
Sacha

On 23/3/05 17:24, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

It's a gorgeous monster. I knew one that had overtaken a fully grown walnut
tree and come across into my garden and colonised a couple of trees in
there. It's not a rose to be planted lightly but it is wonderful when given
its head.

I may have been over-ambitious, but the hazel is actually several,
and there is a mature walnut tree next door - it is also 15 yards
from the nearest house.

Plant more trees! The first Kiftsgate I ever planted I put, in my
innocence, up a dead apple tree trunk. For years, I had bits of Kiftsgate
whipping around trying to claw the eyes out of anyone who came near it!
Your neighbour will bless you, I hope. I thoroughly enjoyed the one I had
in my last garden, which belonged to the neighbours but to which I had to do
nothing!
With regard to Halesia, I was recommended to plant it on a bank where one
could look up into it and see it at its best. My ex father in law had done
this in his Jersey garden and I have to say he was quite right. It's not
the only way to see it, of course! But it does add a certain something.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Plant more trees! The first Kiftsgate I ever planted I put, in my
innocence, up a dead apple tree trunk. For years, I had bits of Kiftsgate
whipping around trying to claw the eyes out of anyone who came near it!
Your neighbour will bless you, I hope. I thoroughly enjoyed the one I had
in my last garden, which belonged to the neighbours but to which I had to do
nothing!

That is on the south side - I would rather not. I have no objection
to it invading my neighbour's walnut - it should be gig enough to
cope, and that is the property with the leylandii.

With regard to Halesia, I was recommended to plant it on a bank where one
could look up into it and see it at its best. My ex father in law had done
this in his Jersey garden and I have to say he was quite right. It's not
the only way to see it, of course! But it does add a certain something.

That is why I got what I hope is monticola. It is a proper tree,
unlike carolina.

Actually, it is at the top of a slope - my garden is on the side of
a hill, with a typically impressive Cambridge gradient (1-2%) :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Kay

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Rosa filipes "Kiftsgate" is described as vigorous, but liking sun.
How much does it grow in a season when small, especially when it
gets only a little sun (it will get more as it grows)?

Very little - a couple of 6ft branches. It won't flower, and if the lack
of sun is because of a tree, and therefore dry soil, it will also get
mildew.

Ours has now reached into the lower branches of a mature lime tree (it's
about 12-15ft up) and is beginning to gallop, but it's taken over 5
years.

Old 24-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Sacha

On 23/3/05 18:37, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

snip

With regard to Halesia, I was recommended to plant it on a bank where one
could look up into it and see it at its best. My ex father in law had done
this in his Jersey garden and I have to say he was quite right. It's not
the only way to see it, of course! But it does add a certain something.

That is why I got what I hope is monticola. It is a proper tree,
unlike carolina.

Actually, it is at the top of a slope - my garden is on the side of
a hill, with a typically impressive Cambridge gradient (1-2%) :-(

Clever you! And you can always kneel...... ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Trevor Appleton

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Rosa filipes "Kiftsgate" is described as vigorous, but liking sun.
How much does it grow in a season when small, especially when it
gets only a little sun (it will get more as it grows)?

And similarly for Halesia monticola.

Both are in good loam.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

One I planted at the foot of my dads 150 yr old 60 ft pear tree reached the
top in three years.