Old 25-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Brian Watson

Default grapefruit

wrote in message
Hi,

I have been given a plant that I am told is a grapefruit. Do they have
large spines? This one does.

It is called "a mine".

Put it back in the sea (carefully).

--
Brian
"Anyway, if you have been, thanks for listening."

Old 25-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Bob Hobden

? wrote
I have been given a plant that I am told is a grapefruit. Do they have
large spines? This one does. How old are they before they fruit? Is
any special care required?

Most Citrus have large spines so although we don't have a Grapefruit I would
expect it to.

Treat as an ericaceous plant and you won't go far wrong. Feed all year round
because the plant grows all year, indeed any fruit are liable to take a year
to grow after flowering. Normally one buys grafted plants as they fruit
sooner but 10+ years is not uncommon for seed raised plants.

A common problem with citrus is Scale Insect, these can be power washed off
using a sprayer filled with water + washing up liquid kept pumped up to max.
Start at the top and work your way down every leaf and stem. It's an annual
thing.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 26-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Tumbleweed

wrote in message
Hi,

I have been given a plant that I am told is a grapefruit. Do they have
large spines? This one does. How old are they before they fruit? Is
any special care required?

Thanks & Happy Easter.

Isnt this a tropical plant?

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 26-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Bob Hobden

"Tumbleweed" wrote ...

I have been given a plant that I am told is a grapefruit. Do they have
large spines? This one does. How old are they before they fruit? Is
any special care required?

Thanks & Happy Easter.

Isnt this a tropical plant?

Not Tropical as such but they aren't too frost hardy so need to be under
cover in the UK during the worst of the winter. I put our's back outside
last week but will watch the weather and if it looks like frost again they
will return to the greenhouse for the night.

Old 26-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Mike Lyle

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Tumbleweed" wrote ...

I have been given a plant that I am told is a grapefruit. Do they
have large spines? This one does. How old are they before they
fruit? Is any special care required?

Thanks & Happy Easter.

Isnt this a tropical plant?

Not Tropical as such but they aren't too frost hardy so need to be
under cover in the UK during the worst of the winter. I put our's
back outside last week but will watch the weather and if it looks
like frost again they will return to the greenhouse for the night.

Have you had fruit from yours, Bob?

--
Mike.

Old 26-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Bob Hobden

"Mike Lyle" wrote after
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Tumbleweed" wrote ...

I have been given a plant that I am told is a grapefruit. Do they
have large spines? This one does. How old are they before they
fruit? Is any special care required?

Thanks & Happy Easter.

Isnt this a tropical plant?

Not Tropical as such but they aren't too frost hardy so need to be
under cover in the UK during the worst of the winter. I put our's
back outside last week but will watch the weather and if it looks
like frost again they will return to the greenhouse for the night.

Have you had fruit from yours, Bob?

We have annual fruit from most of our citrus but the best and most useful
are the Lemons and the Tahiti Limes both of which make shop bought ones seem
insipid. Excellent in a G+T on Pancakes in cakes etc.
Lemons have finished fruiting for now but there are small fruit that will
bulk up over the next few months and now they are out it won't be long
before they are in flower again to produce fruit for next winter, the Tahiti
Lime has fruit just ripening now.
On the other hand the oranges are usually dry and unappetising for some
strange reason.