Old 18-04-2004, 06:00 AM
Troy

Default Ladybirds

Never seen so many before - they're everywhere. Anyone else noticed this or
are they just in my garden :-)

(North East Lincolnshire).
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.
Old 18-04-2004, 06:01 AM
MissJuggs

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:22:29 +0100, Troy wrote:

Never seen so many before - they're everywhere. Anyone else noticed this or
are they just in my garden :-)

I've had a fair few already - I thought that they may have been
brought by the plethora of leaves floating around from last autumn and
also the infestations of insecty things brought by last summer's heat.

Glenys

--
"A Newsweek poll said if the election were held today, John Kerry
would beat Bush 49 percent to 46 percent. And today, President Bush
Old 18-04-2004, 06:08 AM
Tumbleweed

"Troy" wrote in message
Never seen so many before - they're everywhere. Anyone else noticed this

or
are they just in my garden :-)

(North East Lincolnshire).

No (Reading)

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 18-04-2004, 06:10 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Troy
writes
Never seen so many before - they're everywhere. Anyone else noticed this or
are they just in my garden :-)

(North East Lincolnshire).

Yes, we have lots of them in our garden.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 18-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Vicky

"Troy" wrote in message
Never seen so many before - they're everywhere. Anyone else noticed this

or
are they just in my garden :-)

(North East Lincolnshire).
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.

Perhaps it's in response to the awful amount of greenfly. I've just had to
ditch a load of herbs I was about to plant out because they were more
greenfly than plant. I've never seen so many so early. Product of a mild
winter I suppose.

Vicky

Old 18-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Kevin Groves

Troy wrote:
Never seen so many before - they're everywhere. Anyone else noticed this or
are they just in my garden :-)

(North East Lincolnshire).

Quite a few. Also the biggest one I've ever seen about half the size of
my little finger nail.

Kev,
Old 18-04-2004, 11:07 AM
Kase

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Troy
writes
Never seen so many before - they're everywhere. Anyone else noticed this

or
are they just in my garden :-)

(North East Lincolnshire).

Yes, we have lots of them in our garden.
--

I noticed loads here too, in Cheshire, when I started clearing the garden.
The nettles that I let grow wild are infested, and the greenhouse had loads.

Kase

Old 18-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Vicky
writes

"Troy" wrote in message
Never seen so many before - they're everywhere. Anyone else noticed this

or
are they just in my garden :-)

Perhaps it's in response to the awful amount of greenfly. I've just had to
ditch a load of herbs I was about to plant out because they were more
greenfly than plant. I've never seen so many so early. Product of a mild
winter I suppose.

Greenfly have the useful habit of diving for safety when a predator (or
thumb) appears. It means you can pick up the pot hold it over a large
white plate or piece of paper, and sae 80% of them off. They're much
easier to squash on a flat surface. Holding the pot upside down and
washing the plant under a strong stream from the cold tap will get rid
of a lot more. Then inspection of the tips to get rid of any more you ca
see.

Once the plant is in the garden, has hardened up a bit (not so tender
and delicious) and has birds around who eat aphids, they'll be a lot
less of a problem.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 18-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from MissJuggs contains these words:

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:22:29 +0100, Troy wrote:

Never seen so many before - they're everywhere. Anyone else noticed this or
are they just in my garden :-)

I've had a fair few already - I thought that they may have been
brought by the plethora of leaves floating around from last autumn and
also the infestations of insecty things brought by last summer's heat.

I was thinking just the same thing while weeding the other
day..ladybirds everywhere.

Janet (Isle of Arran)
Old 18-04-2004, 07:14 PM
jane

~
~ On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:22:29 +0100, Troy wrote:
~
~ Never seen so many before - they're everywhere. Anyone else noticed this or
~ are they just in my garden :-)
~
~ I've had a fair few already - I thought that they may have been
~ brought by the plethora of leaves floating around from last autumn and
~ also the infestations of insecty things brought by last summer's heat.
~
~ I was thinking just the same thing while weeding the other
~day..ladybirds everywhere.
~
We all remarked on it at the allotments last week. You could barely
step anywhere without risking stepping on one - and they were all the
big seven-spot ones! I haven't seen one of the tiny two-spots for some
time.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 18-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes
The message
from MissJuggs contains these words:

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:22:29 +0100, Troy wrote:

Never seen so many before - they're everywhere. Anyone else noticed this or
are they just in my garden :-)

I've had a fair few already - I thought that they may have been
brought by the plethora of leaves floating around from last autumn and
also the infestations of insecty things brought by last summer's heat.

I was thinking just the same thing while weeding the other
day..ladybirds everywhere.

I've got one in my garden too ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 18-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Troy contains these words:

Never seen so many before - they're everywhere. Anyone else noticed this or
are they just in my garden :-)

(North East Lincolnshire).

I've been tipping them out of the house by the bucket^H^H^H^H^mustn't
exaggerate - yes, lots of them here in South Norfolk.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 18-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kevin Groves contains these words:
Troy wrote:
Never seen so many before - they're everywhere. Anyone else noticed
this or
are they just in my garden :-)

(North East Lincolnshire).

Quite a few. Also the biggest one I've ever seen about half the size of
my little finger nail.

Brown with white-bordered black spots?

Old 18-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:
"Troy" wrote in message
Never seen so many before - they're everywhere. Anyone else noticed this

or
are they just in my garden :-)

(North East Lincolnshire).

No (Reading)

Well, if you're reading, you wouldn't notice them innit.

Old 19-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Brian

How I envy you! I've gardened all my life and don't remember ever seeing
more than one at a time~~and then only briefly. Hardly enough time to say
"Ladybird, ladybird fly away....[forgot the rest]". I have loved them since
being in nappies with a tender nanny! It was the first rhyme she taught me~
and have now forgotten!! The second one she taught me was "Flies are a
nuisance, flies are a pest... etc" and never realised it was slightly rude
till my wife stopped me passing it on!!
Interestingly the Americans call them 'Ladybugs' and their gardening
group was complaining [last Autumn] that they were having to sweep them up
into buckets there were so many ~~in doors too..Though I'm only 90% sure
it's the same insect.
Best Wishes Brian
"Troy" wrote in message
Never seen so many before - they're everywhere. Anyone else noticed this

or
are they just in my garden :-)

(North East Lincolnshire).
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.

plethora of ladybirds Phil L United Kingdom 8 26-04-2005 09:48 AM
Ladybirds galore Pam Morris United Kingdom 2 27-03-2005 10:50 AM
Greenfly / Ladybirds JennyC United Kingdom 7 16-05-2004 01:11 PM
Ladybirds Troy United Kingdom 2 18-04-2004 05:07 AM
where are all the ladybirds? Pickle United Kingdom 6 08-07-2003 06:32 AM