Garden bonfire ashes of any use?

Old 27-03-2005, 05:55 PM
davout

Default Garden bonfire ashes of any use?

Next week I'm planning a bonfire of unwanted bushes, tree branches etc. Can
I use the resulting ashes for anything?

Old 27-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:55:40 +0100, "davout"
wrote:

Next week I'm planning a bonfire of unwanted bushes, tree branches etc. Can
I use the resulting ashes for anything?

Bob Flowerdew says put it round fruit trees. It is potash after all,
so scatter it round anything which flowers or fruits. Don't burn any
treatedor painted timber with the wood you are burning.

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Mike

"davout" wrote in message
Next week I'm planning a bonfire of unwanted bushes, tree branches etc.

Can
I use the resulting ashes for anything?

Yes it's super stuff, BUT, don't leave the ash tooooooooooooo long on the
ground where you have your bonfire, because if you have rain, it will wash
the 'good stuff' into the soil 'at that point'.

Bag it (when cold;-)) or chuck it into the compost bin and mix it all up
with the stuff already in there and spread it on the garden NEXT YEAR :-))

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past

Old 27-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Alan Gould

In article , davout
writes
Next week I'm planning a bonfire of unwanted bushes, tree branches etc. Can
I use the resulting ashes for anything?

Yes. When they have cooled, store them in a container with access to air
for 2-3 months to mature. Dilute them with an equal quantity of fine
soil or compost, then they will be ready to apply where needed. Soft
fruit bushes particularly appreciate a dressing of ash but keep them a
couple of inches clear of plant stems or tender vegetation.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 27-03-2005, 09:39 PM
andrewpreece

"davout" wrote in message
Next week I'm planning a bonfire of unwanted bushes, tree branches etc.

Can
I use the resulting ashes for anything?

Roses are a traditional liker of ashes.

Andy.

Old 27-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Duncan Heenan

"davout" wrote in message
Next week I'm planning a bonfire of unwanted bushes, tree branches etc.
Can I use the resulting ashes for anything?

Yes you can add it to almost any compost or spread it thinly over grass or
veg patch. But ONLY if it is 100% organic. Don't be tempted to put any
plastic, rubber etc on it, or to encourage it with oil or it will poison it
and make it harmful rather than beneficial to the garden.