Old 16-01-2003, 12:39 PM
Rufus

Default Runner beans

Hi,

This year my wife and I hope to grow runner beans up canes in three large
tubs. I would welcome any recommendations, particularly for beans that
flower and crop well when restricted to tubs. I understand that a rich,
compost is essential. Any advice on the type of compost would also be most
welcome. Finally, is it worth doing, or should I stick to buying them from
the local supermarket?

Thank you,
Rufus

Old 16-01-2003, 01:26 PM
bigboard

Rufus wrote:
Hi,

This year my wife and I hope to grow runner beans up canes in three large
tubs. I would welcome any recommendations, particularly for beans that
flower and crop well when restricted to tubs. I understand that a rich,
compost is essential. Any advice on the type of compost would also be most
welcome. Finally, is it worth doing, or should I stick to buying them from
the local supermarket?

Thank you,
Rufus

Runner beans are deep rooting, so the tubs would need to be fairly deep.
Also, they like their roots kept moist, so any grown in tubs would need
careful watching. Try mulching heavily around the bases to conserve
moisture. I'm sure it is possible to grow them in tubs, but will be a
bit harder than in open ground, and will probably need lots of attention.

Also, they do like to be well fertilised, so some well rotted manure
mixed in with your compost would be a good idea.

Having said that, I should think it is definitely worth doing, and
runners can produce heavy crops over an extended period.

Some varieties a

Achievment and Kelvedon Wonder.

Old 16-01-2003, 01:31 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
bigboard writes:

| Runner beans are deep rooting, so the tubs would need to be fairly deep.
| Also, they like their roots kept moist, so any grown in tubs would need
| careful watching. Try mulching heavily around the bases to conserve
| moisture. I'm sure it is possible to grow them in tubs, but will be a
| bit harder than in open ground, and will probably need lots of attention.
|
| Also, they do like to be well fertilised, so some well rotted manure
| mixed in with your compost would be a good idea.
|
| Having said that, I should think it is definitely worth doing, and
| runners can produce heavy crops over an extended period.

I have seen it done very successfully in half barrels, and they are
decorative, too. One of the many vegetables first grown for
decoration! My guess is that you need to allow several gallons per
plant, but that is a mere guess.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 16-01-2003, 02:50 PM
andyp

It is well worth the effort, even my frozen home grown taste better that the
supermarket ones.
I line my trenches with upto about a dozen sheets of newspaper, soaked well
before I fill with
soil and compost then soak that well before I plant the seedlings (I start
the beans in the
greenhouse). I would imagine lining the bottom of your tubs with newspaper
would have the
same effect. At the height of the growing/fruiting season they will need
watering just about
every day so retaining as much water as possible in the tub is important.

I would not worry too much about variety, providing they are fed (tomatoe
food) and watered
often you should be OK.

Pick them young and cook straight away.

AndyP

Old 16-01-2003, 02:56 PM
Nick H

"Rufus" wrote in message ...
Hi,

This year my wife and I hope to grow runner beans up canes in three large
tubs.

snip
Finally, is it worth doing, or should I stick to buying them from
the local supermarket?

It is most certainly worth doing. You will never get supermarket
runner beans as fresh, tender and cheap as you do by growing
them yourself. In addition it is very satisfying to pick your own veg.

Nick H,
still enjoying my 2002 runner beans from the freezer.

Old 16-01-2003, 05:58 PM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:39:09 -0000, "Rufus"
wrote:

Hi,

This year my wife and I hope to grow runner beans up canes in three large
tubs. I would welcome any recommendations, particularly for beans that
flower and crop well when restricted to tubs. I understand that a rich,
compost is essential. Any advice on the type of compost would also be most
welcome. Finally, is it worth doing, or should I stick to buying them from
the local supermarket?

Definitely worth a go - home-grown beans are so much better than shop
bought jobbies.
Don't be tempted to let the beans grow too big... six inches long
gives a succulent bean that lacks the coarseness of the shop's stock.
Picking the beans at this stage should also cut down on the nutrient
take-up, thus prolonging the cropping season. They also freeze better
at this size.

Can't recommend any particular variety - but why stick with one?
Most nurseries and garden centres sell bean plants round about May..
why not stick a different variety in each pot?

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 16-01-2003, 07:55 PM
JennyC

"Rufus" wrote in message
Hi,

This year my wife and I hope to grow runner beans up canes in three

large
tubs. I would welcome any recommendations, particularly for beans

that
flower and crop well when restricted to tubs. I understand that a

rich,
compost is essential. Any advice on the type of compost would also

be most
welcome. Finally, is it worth doing, or should I stick to buying

them from
the local supermarket?

Thank you,
Rufus

I had three plants in a very large flower pot last summer and they did
very well. I trained them up wire suspended from and odd bit of
trellis that sticks out at the end of a row.

They do like a LOT of water so I ended up standing the pot in a deep
(ex cat litter!) tray with water in it at all times.

The only thing was that I did seem to get a glut all at once over a
shortish period, and I find they don't freeze very well. However the
rest of the family were pleased to take any surplus ones :~))

Jenny

Old 16-01-2003, 08:24 PM

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:55:04 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

SNIP

I find they don't freeze very well.

SNIP
I agree to the extent that I haven't found any to be the equal of
fresh picked but some varieties suffer less harm from freezing than
others.
e.g. Painted Lady is relatively good.

Old 17-01-2003, 11:11 PM
Larry Stoter

Rufus wrote:

Hi,

This year my wife and I hope to grow runner beans up canes in three large
tubs. I would welcome any recommendations, particularly for beans that
flower and crop well when restricted to tubs. I understand that a rich,
compost is essential. Any advice on the type of compost would also be most
welcome. Finally, is it worth doing, or should I stick to buying them from
the local supermarket?

Thank you,
Rufus

I would suggest you try climbing French beans instead. They don't crop
as heavily as runner beans but require less water and food and seem
generally tougher. Try Blue Coco - lilac/white flowers and dark purple
pods, which makes picking a lot easier. They also crop along the whole
length of the vine and do so over a period of months. Tasty as well and
much better than anything you can buy in a supermarket!
--
Larry Stoter
Old 19-01-2003, 12:15 AM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:58:04 +0000, Stephen Howard
wrote:

This year my wife and I hope to grow runner beans up canes in three large
tubs. I would welcome any recommendations, particularly for beans that
flower and crop well when restricted to tubs.

Someone I knew used to grow amazing crops of beans in half barrels.
Variety: Desiree (white flowered)
He lived near the New Forest and used to go somewhere there and get
horse manure (wrm) and put it in the bottom of the barrel.
Good luck
Cheers
Pam

Bristol

Old 19-01-2003, 10:32 AM
david

Why not mix in a few sweet peas to make the whole thing a real eye catcher,
and it will also help bring in the bees for pollination

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 19-01-2003, 11:23 AM
Rufus

Thank you everyone for taking the trouble to advise me on my runner bean
posting. I am now determined to plant up my two tubs and the screen. I like
Larry Stoter's suggestion of growing climbing French beans and mixing
runners with sweet peas as suggested by David Hill. I will grow French beans
in one tub and Kelvin Wonder in the other. Later in the year I promise to
post a progress report to the group.

Thanks again.
Rufus

Old 19-01-2003, 07:00 PM
JennyC

"Rufus" wrote in message
Thank you everyone for taking the trouble to advise me on my runner

bean
posting. I am now determined to plant up my two tubs and the screen.

I like
Larry Stoter's suggestion of growing climbing French beans and

mixing
runners with sweet peas as suggested by David Hill. I will grow

French beans
in one tub and Kelvin Wonder in the other. Later in the year I

promise to
post a progress report to the group.

Thanks again.
Rufus

You could pop in a couple of sweet peas too for scent/colour :~)
Jenny

Old 03-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Sue

"david" wrote
Why not mix in a few sweet peas to make the whole thing a real eye
catcher, and it will also help bring in the bees for pollination

Why have I never thought of this?? I'll do that this year; we always have
too many beans anyway.

Sue

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 12:38 PM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 11:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 11:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 05:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 10:32 AM