Climbing rose in a pot?

Old 19-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Martin Pentreath

Default Climbing rose in a pot?

Not content with the new climbers in my back garden, I'm thinking of
creating a rural idyll in central London with roses growing up the
front of my house ;-)

I've been researching a bit with the assistance of info from this
group. I'm thinking of something which will climb to a fair height
(4-5m) and which has a long flowering season and a strong scent to
waft into the rooms. Mme. Alfred Carriere looks like it would fit the
bill, for example. But I've had trouble in the past with a subsiding
bay window at the front of the house, and I think it would be better
to keep it in a pot to minimise water abstraction from the ground. Is
this a non-starter?
Old 19-04-2005, 02:40 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Martin Pentreath wrote:
Not content with the new climbers in my back garden, I'm thinking of
creating a rural idyll in central London with roses growing up the
front of my house ;-)

I've been researching a bit with the assistance of info from this
group. I'm thinking of something which will climb to a fair height
(4-5m) and which has a long flowering season and a strong scent to
waft into the rooms. Mme. Alfred Carriere looks like it would fit the
bill, for example. But I've had trouble in the past with a subsiding
bay window at the front of the house, and I think it would be better
to keep it in a pot to minimise water abstraction from the ground. Is
this a non-starter?

Can I play the family bias card for a moment and suggest Della Balfour
(www.roses.co.uk)? Doesn't climb too high, beautifully scented, peach blooms
with attractive greeny-coppery foliage and flowers for about nine months of
the year.

In case anyone's wondering, she was my grandmother and my grandfather had
the rose named for her on the occasion of their Golden Wedding, some 15
years ago. Sadly, she passed away last summer from ovarian cancer, but the
rose is a lasting memory....

We have a Joseph's Coat growing up around our front porch - I'm not sure
it's scented, though...

Old 19-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Harold Walker

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
om...
Not content with the new climbers in my back garden, I'm thinking of
creating a rural idyll in central London with roses growing up the
front of my house ;-)

I've been researching a bit with the assistance of info from this
group. I'm thinking of something which will climb to a fair height
(4-5m) and which has a long flowering season and a strong scent to
waft into the rooms. Mme. Alfred Carriere looks like it would fit the
bill, for example. But I've had trouble in the past with a subsiding
bay window at the front of the house, and I think it would be better
to keep it in a pot to minimise water abstraction from the ground. Is
this a non-starter?

If you mean is a pot a "non starter" then......youcan grow one as good in a
pot as in ground...just needs watering and feeding a little more
often....the bigger the pot the better.....the bottom line is that just
about anything can do just as well in a pot as in ground when taken care
of....HW

Old 19-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Martin Pentreath

"Harold Walker" wrote in message ...

If you mean is a pot a "non starter" then......youcan grow one as good in a
pot as in ground...just needs watering and feeding a little more
often....the bigger the pot the better.....the bottom line is that just
about anything can do just as well in a pot as in ground when taken care
of....HW

Thanks, that is what I meant. Looks like I need a big pot then.

Climbing Rose Heather Roses 2 15-04-2003 06:56 PM
Culinary herbFAQ part 6/7 Henriette Kress Edible Gardening 0 31-03-2003 01:56 PM
Climbing rose Kevin & Karin United Kingdom 10 01-03-2003 03:42 PM
Culinary herbFAQ part 6/7 Henriette Kress Edible Gardening 0 28-02-2003 06:39 PM