Old 20-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Popeye

Default Tibetan Poppy - pricking out advice

I have successfully germinated these seeds following the advice on the
seed packet (two weeks on in a warm light place, followed by two weeks
in the refridgerator). The packet then says to remove seedlings "as
they emerge" and pot on.

I read that as "take the seedlings singly from the pot as you see them".
I have about a dozen showing, no more than a couple of millimetres tall.
Is there a reason for this very specific advice to remove as they emerge
and would it do any harm to let them grow on together to a reasonable
size before pricking out? The packet does indicate that they are
difficult to germinate (but offers a promise that by following their
specific instructions one would be successful - is it perhaps because
they normally germinate at very different rates and the percentage of
such germination is low?)

I really don't want to loose them so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

(East Yorkshire)
Old 20-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Rod

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:09:48 +0100, Popeye
wrote:

I have successfully germinated these seeds following the advice on the
seed packet (two weeks on in a warm light place, followed by two weeks
in the refridgerator). The packet then says to remove seedlings "as
they emerge" and pot on.

I read that as "take the seedlings singly from the pot as you see them".
I have about a dozen showing, no more than a couple of millimetres tall.
Is there a reason for this very specific advice to remove as they emerge
and would it do any harm to let them grow on together to a reasonable
size before pricking out? The packet does indicate that they are
difficult to germinate (but offers a promise that by following their
specific instructions one would be successful - is it perhaps because
they normally germinate at very different rates and the percentage of
such germination is low?)

The longer you leave them in the germination medium, the greater the
risk of damping off. When you prick them out put them into very small
pots or plug trays of ericaceous compost. As with all pricking out
they are very delicate and must only be handled by the cotyledons
(seed leaves) and only lighly firmed into the previously watered
compost (soft water)
They are well worth a bit of extra trouble.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 20-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Popeye

Thanks Rod.

I had no idea they required acidic conditions.

I'll be out at the weekend buying some plug trays and ericaceous compost!

Old 21-04-2005, 09:39 AM
Martin Brown

Popeye wrote:

I have successfully germinated these seeds following the advice on the
seed packet (two weeks on in a warm light place, followed by two weeks
in the refridgerator). The packet then says to remove seedlings "as
they emerge" and pot on.

They are a bit prone to damping off and resent any root disturbance.

I read that as "take the seedlings singly from the pot as you see them".
I have about a dozen showing, no more than a couple of millimetres tall.
Is there a reason for this very specific advice to remove as they emerge
and would it do any harm to let them grow on together to a reasonable
size before pricking out?

If you let them grow on their roots will tangle and almost guarantee
that none of them survive being transplanted.

The packet does indicate that they are
difficult to germinate (but offers a promise that by following their
specific instructions one would be successful - is it perhaps because
they normally germinate at very different rates and the percentage of
such germination is low?)

Fresh seed usually comes up for me like mustard and cress. The
difficulty is in transplanting them and keeping them alive.

I really don't want to loose them so any advice would be much appreciated.

Try and keep several plants growing well and don't let them flower in
the first year. Plant them somewhere acidic, cool and damp if possible
but try a few different places in your garden they are very choosy about
where they will grow. If happy they will self seed if not they sulk.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 23-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Popeye

Thanks Martin

I guess I should prick them out as soon as I can handle them (by the
first true leaves? - is it not possible to hold them, carefully by the
first pair?). I've looked this morning and I have at least a dozen now,
they're tiny but well spaced in the pot.

I had intended to grow them on in a group in the garden, but having
heard what you advise I'll try various sites.

Thanks again.

Old 23-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Rod

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 07:25:25 +0100, Popeye
wrote:

Thanks Martin

I guess I should prick them out as soon as I can handle them (by the
first true leaves? - is it not possible to hold them, carefully by the
first pair?). I've looked this morning and I have at least a dozen now,
they're tiny but well spaced in the pot.

I had intended to grow them on in a group in the garden, but having
heard what you advise I'll try various sites.

One of my replies seems to have gone awol so here goes again. I prick
out most seedlings as soon as I can handle them by the cotyledons
(never by the stems) rather than waiting for true leaves. Using the
finger and thumb, go in below the cotyledons then lift and close the
finger and thumb gathering the 2 cotyledons together, then get your
knife blade or whatever you're using well under the seedlings, gently
lift it up and wiggle it a bit until the compost falls away from the
roots so you can tease out the seedling without feeling any roots
snap.

Old 25-04-2005, 12:53 AM
Popeye

Rod wrote:

Thanks Rod, that's helpful.

My problem is that I sense that the seedlings are too small to handle
and so I let them grow on, 'till they're too large to transplant without
root damage! Illustrated by my buying the modules and ericacious this
weekend but not having the heart to 'dig up' the seedlings! Everything
I've read tells me to wait for the true leaves. By which time they have
a fairly developed root system.

Your advice gives me the confidance to lift them with the seed leaves
and get them growing on. Thank you.

Old 25-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Mike Lyle

Popeye wrote:
Rod wrote:

Thanks Rod, that's helpful.

My problem is that I sense that the seedlings are too small to

handle
and so I let them grow on, 'till they're too large to transplant
without root damage! Illustrated by my buying the modules and
ericacious this weekend but not having the heart to 'dig up' the
seedlings! Everything I've read tells me to wait for the true
leaves. By which time they have a fairly developed root system.

Your advice gives me the confidance to lift them with the seed

leaves
and get them growing on. Thank you.

[...]

I wonder if it would have helped to mix the seed thoroughly with sand
before sowing: that way you don't get so many seedlings quite so
close together. Or so the books say -- I've never done it.

--
Mike.