Old 20-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Duncan Heenan

Default Olive trees

Great treat in store! Tomorrow I shall be planting 2, 2metre high olive
trees in my 'Mediterranean orchard' (actually on the Isle of Wight) .
Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 21-04-2005, 12:24 AM
p.k.

Duncan Heenan wrote:
Great treat in store! Tomorrow I shall be planting 2, 2metre high
olive trees in my 'Mediterranean orchard' (actually on the Isle of
Wight) . Any advice would be appreciated!

Care to tell how much they cost and where from?

pk

Old 21-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Duncan Heenan

£100 each (but smaller ones are cheaper - see website). Got them from
http://www.crosscommonnursery.co.uk/...t=Olive+Trees#
Very easy company to deal with.
Duncan

Old 21-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Registered User

Location: U.K. South-west coast
Smile

Duncan Heenan wrote:
Great treat in store! Tomorrow I shall be planting 2, 2metre high
olive trees in my 'Mediterranean orchard' (actually on the Isle of
Wight) . Any advice would be appreciated!

Care to tell how much they cost and where from?

pk
[/i][/color][/quote]

I planted one nearly three years ago. It was a skinny four=footer at the time. Below is a link to a pic taken two years later. (Spring 2004)
Although it comes from a dry area, I found it enjoyed a good soaking every week through it's first 2 summers.
Isle of Wight should be fine as I live on the coast in the south-west and it is quite exposed.

I also put fish,blood and bone in the planting hole.

http://www.lauryworld.com/gardengrow/olive04.jpg

Regards

Laury
Old 22-04-2005, 09:46 AM
Duncan Heenan

"lauryc" wrote in message

Duncan Heenan wrote:-
Great treat in store! Tomorrow I shall be planting 2, 2metre high
olive trees in my 'Mediterranean orchard' (actually on the Isle of
Wight) . Any advice would be appreciated!-

Care to tell how much they cost and where from?

pk

I planted one nearly three years ago. It was a skinny four=footer at the
time. Below is a link to a pic taken two years later. (Spring 2004)
Although it comes from a dry area, I found it enjoyed a good soaking
every week through it's first 2 summers.
Isle of Wight should be fine as I live on the coast in the south-west and
it is quite exposed.

I also put fish,blood and bone in the planting hole.

http://tinyurl.com/9jd8f

Regards

Laury

--
lauryc[/i][/color]
Thanks.

Old 22-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Registered User

Location: U.K. South-west coast

pk
[/i][/color]

I planted one nearly three years ago. It was a skinny four=footer at the
time. Below is a link to a pic taken two years later. (Spring 2004)
Although it comes from a dry area, I found it enjoyed a good soaking
every week through it's first 2 summers.
Isle of Wight should be fine as I live on the coast in the south-west and
it is quite exposed.

I also put fish,blood and bone in the planting hole.

http://tinyurl.com/9jd8f

Regards

Laury

--
lauryc[/i][/color]
Thanks.
My word that's grown! Do you get many olives? Black or Green? At what sort
of age do they start to go gnarled as in the Mediterranean?[/quote]

Hi Duncan. It has grown like wildfire! I thought they were supposed to be slow. I think it takes years and years to get the gnarled trunks. Pruning is supposed to help too, to get the shape. We have left ours to grow naturally.
Regarding olive fruit.... mmmm... well. We have one totally ripe black olive left. The birds got most of them while they were very small.

Here is a pic of it's size when planted in 2002.
http://www.lauryworld.com/gardengrow/babyolive1.jpg

I hope yours thrive for you too.
Regards

Laury
Old 25-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Jo

"Duncan Heenan" wrote in message
Great treat in store! Tomorrow I shall be planting 2, 2metre high olive
trees in my 'Mediterranean orchard' (actually on the Isle of Wight) .
Any advice would be appreciated!

I bought a small one for £10 from Columbia Road Flower market in London

last spring. It's done wonders in a sunny position...I'm in Leigh-on-Sea in
Essex and the plant is west-facing. It's grown a fair amount (now about 2'
tall) and I had lots of weeny olives last summer and again right now.....not
that you be able to tell that they were olives, unless you knew it was an
olive tree!! Beautiful plant though.
Jo

Saving large black olive trees miamicuse Gardening 0 11-06-2006 05:27 PM
Are Olive Trees Deciduous Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 7 30-01-2006 06:27 PM
Olive trees in North of England aaj United Kingdom 8 06-09-2005 04:48 PM
Olive Trees Richard McFadin Texas 2 01-11-2004 03:55 PM
5-6ft high olive trees-ok to transplant ? laz Australia 1 28-05-2004 12:03 PM