Old 28-01-2003, 09:02 PM
vsop

Default Brussel Tops

Some time ago I asked advice on what whether it would be detrimental to the
Brussels crop if the tops were removed before the season end (cos we luv
em).
To those people who expressed interest in the answer I can now say that
after many delicious meals of tops, it has made not a jot of difference to
the quality or quantity of button yield.
We used the variety Hamlet , which were rather tall and needed to be staked.
We grew in raised beds made of decking timber.
Best Regards

---

Old 28-01-2003, 10:27 PM
Gary Woods

"vsop" wrote:

Some time ago I asked advice on what whether it would be detrimental to the
Brussels crop if the tops were removed before the season end (cos we luv
em)

I missed the original post, but over here it's customary to cut out the
tops late in the season to encourage the growth of already formed sprouts,
since ones in the top wouldn't size up.

Old 29-01-2003, 06:42 AM
Alan Gould

In article , vsop
writes
Some time ago I asked advice on what whether it would be detrimental to the
Brussels crop if the tops were removed before the season end (cos we luv
em).
To those people who expressed interest in the answer I can now say that
after many delicious meals of tops, it has made not a jot of difference to
the quality or quantity of button yield.
We used the variety Hamlet , which were rather tall and needed to be staked.
We grew in raised beds made of decking timber.
Best Regards

Sprout plants should not come to any harm by having their tops removed,
but it is probably better to wait until most of the sprout crop has
formed up before doing that.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 29-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Mary Fisher

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , vsop

Sprout plants should not come to any harm by having their tops removed,
but it is probably better to wait until most of the sprout crop has
formed up before doing that.

I cut off the top of one today to use for cole-slaw in the absence of any
green cabbage. I was surprised to see several undeveloped sprouts at the
bases of the larger leaves. What a pity! Presumably they'd have grown into
real ones.

Last year was my first attempt at growing sprouts and I've been delighted
with the quantity and quality, all the sprouts are very hard and tasty, the
only problem has been aphids but I wash them off.

Mary

Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 29-01-2003, 09:25 PM
Larry Stoter

vsop wrote:

Some time ago I asked advice on what whether it would be detrimental to the
Brussels crop if the tops were removed before the season end (cos we luv
em).
To those people who expressed interest in the answer I can now say that
after many delicious meals of tops, it has made not a jot of difference to
the quality or quantity of button yield.
We used the variety Hamlet , which were rather tall and needed to be staked.
We grew in raised beds made of decking timber.
Best Regards

---

We live in one of the sprout centres of the UK - the
Potton/Biggleswade/Sandy/Bedford area. At the weekend, I noticed a whole
field where all the tops and side leaves had been removed, leaving just
stems covered in sprouts.
--
Larry Stoter