Old 23-10-2010, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default overwintering a 'standard fuchsia'

Hello

I am growing a fuchsia, 'Dark Eyes' which I hope will become a 'standard
fuchsia' in a few years time. I started it in the early summer, in a 12"
pot, and have trained it by cutting off the lower branches as it has grown.
I think it doing quite nicely so far.

My question, how should I keep it over winter. I believe it is 'hardy'. I
could keep it in my (unheated) g'house, or just leave it outside in a
sheltered spot. If I keep it in the g'house should I water it ? The g'house
can get quite warm when the sun is out.

My instinct is that it needs to have a long rest over winter.

Advice please

Old 23-10-2010, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 13:42:40 +0100, "dido22"
wrote:

Hello

I am growing a fuchsia, 'Dark Eyes' which I hope will become a 'standard
fuchsia' in a few years time. I started it in the early summer, in a 12"
pot, and have trained it by cutting off the lower branches as it has grown.
I think it doing quite nicely so far.

My question, how should I keep it over winter. I believe it is 'hardy'. I
could keep it in my (unheated) g'house, or just leave it outside in a
sheltered spot. If I keep it in the g'house should I water it ? The g'house
can get quite warm when the sun is out.

My instinct is that it needs to have a long rest over winter.

Advice please

First of all, however hardy a fuchsia variety is, a standard of that
variety will not be hardy. If you leave it outside, the growing tip -
which is above ground - may be killed off by frost and the plant could
reshoot from the base again and you end up with a bush instead of a
standard.

Aim to keep it at a minimum of 5 degrees C. If your greenhouse gets
warmer it shouldn't hurt but don't let it get colder. A light trim now
won't go amiss - it'll help the plant to retain a good shape next
year. Don't overwater it - aim to keep the compost barely moist - just
to keep the plant ticking over through the winter. In the spring when
it hopefully starts to shoot, replace the top inch or two of compost
and increase the watering. Don't forget to pinch out the early growth
to promote more side shoots and hopefully a good head next year.

Good luck
Old 23-10-2010, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I am growing a fuchsia, 'Dark Eyes' which I hope will become a 'standard
fuchsia' in a few years time.

Agree with Jake,

A greenhouse will keep a degree of frost off, when it gets colder than
use the fleece.

In an unheated greenhouse one, two or even three layers of garden
fleece will keep the plant happy as long as it 'lies' on top of the
plant, and tucked in. (only for cold nights, otherwise keep the air
moving)

Fuchsia are tough plants , keep them on the dry side, but not dust
dry, Your plant will rather get 'cold' than 'wet and cold'

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

Old 23-10-2010, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"dido22" wrote in message
Hello

I am growing a fuchsia, 'Dark Eyes' which I hope will become a 'standard
fuchsia' in a few years time. I started it in the early summer, in a 12"
pot, and have trained it by cutting off the lower branches as it has
grown. I think it doing quite nicely so far.

My question, how should I keep it over winter. I believe it is 'hardy'. I
could keep it in my (unheated) g'house, or just leave it outside in a
sheltered spot. If I keep it in the g'house should I water it ? The
g'house can get quite warm when the sun is out.

My instinct is that it needs to have a long rest over winter.

Advice please

I'm a new boy at standards too so I've also at the same stage. I have had
advice that protecting the trunk with the foam stuff that is used to protect
water pipes might be worthwhile.

I have also been given advice to give minimum water and use fleece as
required.

I'm also going to ensure that the base of the pot is well insulated from
greenhouse bench by standing on polystyrene offcuts.

I'm also intending to build up cover on the roots of outdoor fuschias in
beds by encirling them in lawn edging and filling in with coarse sand. I'm
just going to do some so that I can evaluate.

Alan

Old 23-10-2010, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Alan Hutson wrote:
I am growing a fuchsia, 'Dark Eyes' which I hope will become a 'standard
fuchsia' in a few years time. I started it in the early summer, in a 12"
pot, and have trained it by cutting off the lower branches as it has
grown. I think it doing quite nicely so far.

I'm a new boy at standards too so I've also at the same stage.

Me too! Although mine's a checkerboard. And I'm thinking of bringing it
into the house for the winter.

Old 25-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Registered User

Smile

Hi am new to this forum and looking forward to all your advice and tips.

I have a Fuchsia Thalia growing in a pot, the frost last night seems of affected it so am guessing its time to bring it in, my question is will it be ok if i move it into the shed, thanks guys.
Old 25-10-2010, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:29:14 +0000, poohster
wrote:

I have a Fuchsia Thalia growing in a pot, the frost last night seems of
affected it

Don't be too worried if it drops some or almost all of its leaves, it
will survive and come back to life, next year, if you treat it right.

it be ok if i move it into the shed, thanks guys.

Just don't forget about it, it will need a little water over the
winter.

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 26-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Registered User

Glad I spotted this thread, I too moved my fuchsia in to the shed this morning, I'm afraid I wasn't expecting frost so early!

It gets pretty cold in the shed, I keep my rabbits in there and around February I am having to defrost their water bottles every morning. Will the Fuchia be ok if I cover it with a fleece when it gets to this stage? Also a little worried about light, it's right next to the window but it's not the brightest spot, will this be ok? The only other place it could come is the house and I'm worried it'll be to drying with the heating. Greenhouse to come in the spring.

Sorry for tappng into your thread!
Old 26-10-2010, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 14:02:04 +0000, MadHen
wrote:

and around February I am having to defrost their water bottles every morning. Will
the Fuchia be ok if I cover it with a fleece when it gets to this stage?

Yes, start with one layer and then add a couple more if we get a
winter like last time.

Also a little worried about light, it's right next to the window but
it's not the brightest spot, will this be ok?

you could even move it back from the window, it does not need the
light, if you are happy for it to shred all its leaves. They will grow
back next year, but some growers like to keep the leaves on, that
needs a bit more light / heat / and water.
I prefer to keep it simple and let the fuchsia grow a complete new set
next march/ april.

The only other place it could come is the house and I'm worried it'll be to drying with the
heating.

I have sixty odd plants and 200 odd cuttings for next year, none of
them will be brought into the house, they will stay in an unheated
greenhouse, using fleece to keep the frost off, and a heated bench
switched on sometime in March just to hasten spring.

Greenhouse to come in the spring.

Great, then the fun will begin :-)

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Registered User

Thank you for the advice guys will give it alittle water from time to time and wrap it in fleece, it has now lost all its leaves so hope its ok, do i need to wrap the whole thing in fleece or just the pot ), thanks again
Old 08-11-2010, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 21:16:42 +0000, poohster
wrote:

Thank you for the advice guys will give it alittle water from time to
time and wrap it in fleece, it has now lost all its leaves so hope its
ok, do i need to wrap the whole thing in fleece or just the pot ),

Keep it simple, just lay fleece over the plant, so the edges cover the
pot, that way you can easily lift the fleece to check that it has not
dried out.
Said by some, when watering, use 'tepid' water, not done it myself but
can't see it doing any harm, if in doubt don't water, the top may be
dry but the pot itself may be still moist.
Easiest way to tell is lift the pot and judge how heavy it is, a light
pot its dry, heavy its moist.

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info