Old 10-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Tonight & tomorrow night (10th & 11th)

Widespread ground frost predicted, with air temperatures going to -2°C

Just in case anyone's not heard the weather foretaste.

(Just brought in the potted lemmings...)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-05-2005, 06:18 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
Widespread ground frost predicted, with air temperatures going to -2°C

Just in case anyone's not heard the weather foretaste.

(Just brought in the potted lemmings...)

Thanks a bundle. I'd not heard it when I planted out over 100 veggy
seedlings on Sunday. Is that Sod's Law or Gardener's Luck?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Broadback

Alan Gould wrote:
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

Widespread ground frost predicted, with air temperatures going to -2°C

Just in case anyone's not heard the weather foretaste.

(Just brought in the potted lemmings...)

Thanks a bundle. I'd not heard it when I planted out over 100 veggy
seedlings on Sunday. Is that Sod's Law or Gardener's Luck?

At 7.0 this morning, got up looked out the window. Beautiful sunny
morning, lovely white frost everywhere, oh dear my poor potatoes. Just
South of Stoke on Trent. (North Midlands for the geographically
impaired. :-)
Old 11-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

Widespread ground frost predicted, with air temperatures going to -2°C

Just in case anyone's not heard the weather foretaste.

(Just brought in the potted lemmings...)

Thanks a bundle. I'd not heard it when I planted out over 100 veggy
seedlings on Sunday. Is that Sod's Law or Gardener's Luck?

So it was *YOUR* fault...

(I don't think we had a frost, or much of one, anyway. There was nothing
like one at 5am)

Old 11-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Jupiter

On Wed, 11 May 2005 08:36:37 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

Alan Gould wrote:
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

Widespread ground frost predicted, with air temperatures going to -2°C

Just in case anyone's not heard the weather foretaste.

(Just brought in the potted lemmings...)

Thanks a bundle. I'd not heard it when I planted out over 100 veggy
seedlings on Sunday. Is that Sod's Law or Gardener's Luck?

At 7.0 this morning, got up looked out the window. Beautiful sunny
morning, lovely white frost everywhere, oh dear my poor potatoes. Just
South of Stoke on Trent. (North Midlands for the geographically
impaired. :-)

I overwintered dahlias in the ground for the first time ever ( with a
thick compost mulch over them). They're sprouting with abandon now and
I'm having to go out and cover them up every night. No casualties as
yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Be a nuisance if they've
survived a winter in the ground and get nipped now.

Old 11-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
Thanks a bundle. I'd not heard it when I planted out over 100 veggy
seedlings on Sunday. Is that Sod's Law or Gardener's Luck?

So it was *YOUR* fault...

;-(

My plantlings had their heads bowed first thing this morning, but they
picked up in the sun's warmth. They will survive, they will thrive, grow
and crop, but with a set-back at that tender stage, they will probably
be retarded for the rest of the season.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Sla#s

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
Widespread ground frost predicted, with air temperatures going to -2°C

Yet here in Stirling, Scotland I have not had a frost since early April.
Tonight it's forecast for +5°C

Slatts

Old 11-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Sue Begg

In message , Sla#s
writes

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
. uk...
Widespread ground frost predicted, with air temperatures going to -2°C

Yet here in Stirling, Scotland I have not had a frost since early April.
Tonight it's forecast for +5°C

Slatts

We had quite a thick frost in Aberdeenshire this (Wednesday) morning.
One of many just recently :-(
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Old 12-05-2005, 12:37 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

I overwintered dahlias in the ground for the first time ever ( with a
thick compost mulch over them). They're sprouting with abandon now and
I'm having to go out and cover them up every night. No casualties as
yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Be a nuisance if they've
survived a winter in the ground and get nipped now.

Some of my runner beans survived in the ground over the winter of
2003/4. I wouldn't expect any to have done so last winter, had I left
them in.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Sla#s" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...

Widespread ground frost predicted, with air temperatures going to -2°C

Yet here in Stirling, Scotland I have not had a frost since early April.
Tonight it's forecast for +5°C

Latest forecast speaks of the risk of frosts until after the weekend,
now. I'm glad the runners are still growing inside...

Old 12-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Sla#s

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
SNIP
Yet here in Stirling, Scotland I have not had a frost since early April.
Tonight it's forecast for +5°C

Latest forecast speaks of the risk of frosts until after the weekend,
now. I'm glad the runners are still growing inside...

Mine have been in three weeks :-)

Slatts

Old 13-05-2005, 12:11 PM
bruce

Sla#s wrote:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
SNIP

Yet here in Stirling, Scotland I have not had a frost since early April.
Tonight it's forecast for +5°C

Latest forecast speaks of the risk of frosts until after the weekend,
now. I'm glad the runners are still growing inside...

Mine have been in three weeks :-)

Slatts

My neighbouring allotment holder lost half of his runners on Wed night -
quite dead! A lesson to remember for next year....
Old 13-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from bruce contains these words:

My neighbouring allotment holder lost half of his runners on Wed night -
quite dead! A lesson to remember for next year....

Aye, cover them with a cloche at night...