GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strimmer starting problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/93894-strimmer-starting-problem.html)

Jon the fool 11-05-2005 02:59 PM

Strimmer starting problem

Hi all,

I hope someone on here can help, I have a Stihl FS400 petrol strimmer and it
will not start, it was working ok last year, went to start it today and wont
work.

I have checked the spark plug and it sparks ok, I did notice at the top of
the fuel tank where the pipe enters it that it slightly leaks although this
only happens if the tank is filled to the top or tipped sideways, could this
be the cause, I dont know so any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Andy Pandy 11-05-2005 03:38 PM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 12:59:46 GMT, "Jon the fool"
wrote:

Hi all,

I hope someone on here can help, I have a Stihl FS400 petrol strimmer and it
will not start, it was working ok last year, went to start it today and wont
work.

I have checked the spark plug and it sparks ok, I did notice at the top of
the fuel tank where the pipe enters it that it slightly leaks although this
only happens if the tank is filled to the top or tipped sideways, could this
be the cause, I dont know so any advice appreciated.

Thanks

I don't know how long you've been trying it but one good piece of
advice I had with a petrol mower was to run it out of petrol each time
rather than using the switch to cut the spark, as it can become stale
if left in the carberettor too long.

Since doing that it has *never* failed to start by the second pull.

Andy

Tom 11-05-2005 03:44 PM

Try taking the spark plug out and putting about 2 teaspoons of petrol into
the hole then put the spark plug back in and try it again. I used to do
this with a lawn mower engine which I had difficulty with and it used to do
the trick.

Jon the fool 11-05-2005 03:58 PM

Thanks all, I managed to get it going at last, it only took me 2 hrs and 45
mins, I opened the idle adjuster screw a couple of turns and it fired up.

Now all I have got to do is tackle the leak before I go up in flames :)

k...

Mike Lyle 11-05-2005 06:25 PM

wrote:

Hi all,

I hope someone on here can help, I have a Stihl FS400 petrol
strimmer and it will not start, it was working ok last year, went

start it today and wont work.

[...]
I don't know how long you've been trying it but one good piece of
advice I had with a petrol mower was to run it out of petrol each

time
rather than using the switch to cut the spark, as it can become

stale
if left in the carberettor too long.

Since doing that it has *never* failed to start by the second pull.

Didn't somebody here point out a while ago that petrol with additives
only stays in good condition for six weeks or less? So we must always
drain machines down for the winter, and start with a fresh can in the
spring. (No, on reflection, I heard it on TV.)

--
Mike.

Charlie Pridham 11-05-2005 09:40 PM

"Jon the fool" wrote in message
Hi all,

I hope someone on here can help, I have a Stihl FS400 petrol strimmer and

it
will not start, it was working ok last year, went to start it today and

wont
work.

I have checked the spark plug and it sparks ok, I did notice at the top of
the fuel tank where the pipe enters it that it slightly leaks although

this
only happens if the tank is filled to the top or tipped sideways, could

this
be the cause, I dont know so any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Clean the spark plug, check the gap, check and clean the air filter, change
the fuel for clean stuff and it should be fine.
Oh and I once spent 5 mins trying to start mine before noticing the thing
was switched to "Off" :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Neil Cairns 11-05-2005 09:46 PM

wrote:

[...]

I agree my instruction manual states not to use petrol oil mix after
it is six weeks old. Drain your tank and carb and get a fresh mix of
oil/ petrol.

Sla#s 11-05-2005 09:50 PM

"Jon the fool" wrote in message
Thanks all, I managed to get it going at last, it only took me 2 hrs and

45
mins, I opened the idle adjuster screw a couple of turns and it fired up.

As mentioned above, when you have finished with it drain out the fuel, then
re-start it and run it until it's dry.
If you are leaveing it over winter, change the oil if four stroke, clean the
filter and whilst you have that off spray a little WD40 in the carb whilst
pulling it over.

Slatts

[email protected] 11-05-2005 10:59 PM

wrote:

[...]

Well all my ancient B&S powered mowers start quite happily with last
year's petrol. Two strokes I must admit are probably a bit more fussy·

--
Chris Green

[email protected] 11-05-2005 11:03 PM

Sla#s wrote:
As mentioned above, when you have finished with it drain out the fuel, then
re-start it and run it until it's dry.
If you are leaveing it over winter, change the oil if four stroke, clean the
filter and whilst you have that off spray a little WD40 in the carb whilst
pulling it over.

WD40 is horrible stuff to do this sort of thing with, it leaves a
sticky deposit which all sorts of dirt etc. sticks to. It's not a
lubricant, it's a water dispeller. Used on ignition systems in my
experience it works to get a wet engine started but if used too often
so much filth ends up stuck to the ignition leads that they need
replacing after a while.

I'd go for plain engine oil or similar if you really want to put
something "in the carb", but I don't think it's necessary.

--
Chris Green

Sla#s 12-05-2005 10:02 PM

wrote in message ...
Sla#s wrote:

SNIP
WD40 is horrible stuff to do this sort of thing with, it leaves a
sticky deposit which all sorts of dirt etc. sticks to. It's not a
lubricant, it's a water dispeller. Used on ignition systems in my
experience it works to get a wet engine started but if used too often
so much filth ends up stuck to the ignition leads that they need
replacing after a while.

I'd go for plain engine oil or similar if you really want to put
something "in the carb", but I don't think it's necessary.

I know what you mean, there are proper engine preservation fluids but WD40
is what most folk have in the shed. And if they put the filter back on they
won't have a problem.

Slatts

Jon the fool 13-05-2005 01:39 AM

"Sla#s" wrote in message

As mentioned above, when you have finished with it drain out the fuel,

then
re-start it and run it until it's dry.
If you are leaveing it over winter, change the oil if four stroke, clean

the
filter and whilst you have that off spray a little WD40 in the carb

whilst
pulling it over.

Slatts

The strimmer uses an oil petrol mix 50.1, my mower (Honda, alway starts
easily touch wood) uses oil and petrol seperately, should I drain the oil
and petrol from the mower when storing for winter?

Thanks.

Mike Lyle 13-05-2005 11:06 AM

Jon the fool wrote:
"Sla#s" wrote in message

As mentioned above, when you have finished with it drain out the
fuel, then re-start it and run it until it's dry.
If you are leaveing it over winter, change the oil if four stroke,
clean the filter and whilst you have that off spray a little WD40
in the carb whilst pulling it over.

Slatts

The strimmer uses an oil petrol mix 50.1, my mower (Honda, alway
starts easily touch wood) uses oil and petrol seperately, should I
drain the oil and petrol from the mower when storing for winter?

It's generally the best thing to drain the fuel -- especially from
the carburettor -- but I don't think it hurts to leave the engine
oil. Use fresh petrol in the spring, of course.

--
Mike.