Old 12-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Cheryl

Default tadpoles

Hi,

About a month ago I took some frogspawn out of my fish pond and took it into
my classroom at school for the kids to watch grow. I put it in a small glass
tank and the kids have really enjoyed caring for them.
However the tadpole have seemed to just stopped growing!
I can see clearly see thier eyes, mouth ect but no sign of any legs yet. I
have been giving them some flake fish food that we give the goldfish which
they seem to enjoy.

Any ideas how we can get them to grow! how long does it take?

Im sure last years taddies didnt take this long!

Many thanks

Cheryl

Old 12-05-2005, 10:35 PM
ned

"Cheryl" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

About a month ago I took some frogspawn out of my fish pond and took

it into
my classroom at school for the kids to watch grow. I put it in a

small glass
tank and the kids have really enjoyed caring for them.
However the tadpole have seemed to just stopped growing!
I can see clearly see thier eyes, mouth ect but no sign of any legs

yet. I
have been giving them some flake fish food that we give the goldfish

which
they seem to enjoy.

Any ideas how we can get them to grow! how long does it take?

Im sure last years taddies didnt take this long!

I have two month old tadpoles in my garden pond that are not showing
leg buds yet.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 10.05.2005

Old 13-05-2005, 12:29 AM
Brian

"Cheryl" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

About a month ago I took some frogspawn out of my fish pond and took it

into
my classroom at school for the kids to watch grow. I put it in a small

glass
tank and the kids have really enjoyed caring for them.
However the tadpole have seemed to just stopped growing!
I can see clearly see thier eyes, mouth ect but no sign of any legs yet. I
have been giving them some flake fish food that we give the goldfish which
they seem to enjoy.

Any ideas how we can get them to grow! how long does it take?

Im sure last years taddies didnt take this long!

Many thanks

Cheryl

_________________________
Make sure that you have not been using tap water~ If you have, then
just the slightest amount of Iodine might correct matters. Just dip a
matchstick in the Iodine and float in the water. Metamorphosis requires
thyroxine which is a compound involving Iodine.
Tap water might be deficient~~ Try more of the original pond water. Have
a large stone in the tank that protrudes above water level.
Remember that very,very few tadpoles do make it to maturity. Much
fewer than one per mass of spawn.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 13-05-2005, 02:26 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

Make sure that you have not been using tap water~ If you have, then
just the slightest amount of Iodine might correct matters. Just dip a
matchstick in the Iodine and float in the water. Metamorphosis requires
thyroxine which is a compound involving Iodine.
Tap water might be deficient~~ Try more of the original pond water. Have
a large stone in the tank that protrudes above water level.
Remember that very,very few tadpoles do make it to maturity. Much
fewer than one per mass of spawn.
Best Wishes Brian.

That takes me back to when I was a child, many moons ago. I had a bowl of
tadpoles on the windowledge.

I hadn't been very well and when the doctor came he said I could add a drop
of iodine to their water and it would make them grow.

I added some iodine and sure enough the doubled in size within a few days.

I was so impressed I added a few more drops and they grew some more.

In went some more iodine and they exploded (

--
Regards,
Alan

Preserve wildlife - pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 13-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Kay

In article , Brian
--- writes

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

But that's more from predation than simply failing to grow, surely?
--
Kay

Old 13-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Brian Watson

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Brian
--- writes

Remember that very,very few tadpoles do make it to maturity. Much
fewer than one per mass of spawn.

But that's more from predation than simply failing to grow, surely?

Just what I was wondering. Thanks for asking.

:-)

As far as I can see, I have just one of the little blighters left from
several clumps of spawn.

I have also gained at least two newts which might, I suppose, contribute to
the tadpole deficiency?

The water has been gently circulating throughout the incubation and growth
period to clean and oxygenate it naturally.
--
Brian
"Anyway, if you have been, thanks for listening."

Old 13-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Kay

In article , Brian Watson
writes

As far as I can see, I have just one of the little blighters left from
several clumps of spawn.

I have also gained at least two newts which might, I suppose, contribute to
the tadpole deficiency?

Oh yes, most definitely!!
Our frogspawn was surrounded by a circle of hungry newts right from he
day it first appeared.
Fortunately, with a pond full of weed and 161 frogs, we still have a
good supply of tadpoles.

Old 13-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Mike Lyle

Brian Watson wrote:
"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Brian
--- writes

Remember that very,very few tadpoles do make it to maturity.
Much fewer than one per mass of spawn.

But that's more from predation than simply failing to grow,

surely?

Just what I was wondering. Thanks for asking.

[...]

And, as I understand it, it's not abnormal for them to indulge in
cannibalism.

--
Mike.

Old 13-05-2005, 11:13 AM

Cheryl wrote:
Hi,

About a month ago I took some frogspawn out of my fish pond and took it into
my classroom at school for the kids to watch grow. I put it in a small glass
tank and the kids have really enjoyed caring for them.
However the tadpole have seemed to just stopped growing!
I can see clearly see thier eyes, mouth ect but no sign of any legs yet. I
have been giving them some flake fish food that we give the goldfish which
they seem to enjoy.

Any ideas how we can get them to grow! how long does it take?

Im sure last years taddies didnt take this long!

I believe that many tadpoles together in close proximity inhibit each
others development into frogs.

--
Chris Green
Old 13-05-2005, 12:15 PM
bigboard

Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from Kay contains these words:

Fortunately, with a pond full of weed and 161 frogs, we still have a
good supply of tadpoles.

LOL Kay..are you quite sure it wasn't 160 or 162? :-)

Janet

There's always one poor sod going without!

--
I have come up with a sure-fire concept for a hit television show,
which would be called `A Live Celebrity Gets Eaten by a Shark'.

Old 13-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Cheryl" contains these words:

About a month ago I took some frogspawn out of my fish pond and took it into
my classroom at school for the kids to watch grow. I put it in a small glass
tank and the kids have really enjoyed caring for them.
However the tadpole have seemed to just stopped growing!
I can see clearly see thier eyes, mouth ect but no sign of any legs yet. I
have been giving them some flake fish food that we give the goldfish which
they seem to enjoy.

Any ideas how we can get them to grow! how long does it take?

Im sure last years taddies didnt take this long!

I see Iodine has already been covered, but you should be aware that
tadpoles require animal matter (small things like daphnia, water fleas,
pieces of meat, etc) in order to mature.

If you restrict them to a vegetarian diet they will remain in the larval
stage for life.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Kay contains these words:

Fortunately, with a pond full of weed and 161 frogs, we still have a
good supply of tadpoles.

LOL Kay..are you quite sure it wasn't 160 or 162? :-)

Now, there was Anthony Rowley, Kermit, Freddie, Alphonse......

Old 13-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Tumbleweed

"Cheryl" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

About a month ago I took some frogspawn out of my fish pond and took it
into
my classroom at school for the kids to watch grow. I put it in a small
glass
tank and the kids have really enjoyed caring for them.
However the tadpole have seemed to just stopped growing!
I can see clearly see thier eyes, mouth ect but no sign of any legs yet. I
have been giving them some flake fish food that we give the goldfish which
they seem to enjoy.

Any ideas how we can get them to grow! how long does it take?

Im sure last years taddies didnt take this long!

They will have done, way too early yet.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 13-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

Fortunately, with a pond full of weed and 161 frogs, we still have a
good supply of tadpoles.

LOL Kay..are you quite sure it wasn't 160 or 162? :-)

It was probably 322 - 161 was what we counted by torchlight (they were
keeping nice and still for us, most of them having their minds on other
matters), but I reckon you only see about half of what's in there.
--
Kay

Old 13-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Kay

In article , bigboard
writes
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from Kay contains these words:

Fortunately, with a pond full of weed and 161 frogs, we still have a
good supply of tadpoles.

LOL Kay..are you quite sure it wasn't 160 or 162? :-)

Janet

There's always one poor sod going without!

Not in the case of frogs, there isn't! Threesomes are quite common ;-)
Besides which, they will if desperate try it on with a passing fish, or
even the pond pump.
--
Kay

Do Shubunkin eat tadpoles? David W.E. Roberts Ponds 7 13-05-2003 07:08 PM
Do Shubunkin eat tadpoles? David W.E. Roberts Ponds (alternative) 11 13-05-2003 07:08 PM
Tadpoles, what to feed? K30a Ponds 2 06-05-2003 04:56 AM
Tadpoles eating my Water Lilys - Any suggestions? IKD Australia 7 05-04-2003 07:35 AM
Where the heck are the tadpoles? Sam Hopkins Ponds 1 28-03-2003 09:20 PM