Old 13-05-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Box Blight

I planted a small (10m or so) row of box to create a hedge round my
patio last year. I used about 16 plants that, at the time, were around
a foot high. Some of them are doing fine (I have trimmed them
faithfully) but others got brown leaves and went quite spindly. I
understand this to be 'box blight'. This happened towards the end of
last year and I had been planning to replace the injured plants with
new ones.

Since then, they seem to have put on a bit of green and although still
smaller than their healthy brethren, they look to be getting better.

My question is - is it possible to recover from box blight, or is it
terminal? ISTR Mr Titchmarsh saying on one program or another that the
best remedy is to replace the plant, but if they will recover then I'd
rather leave them.

All advice gratefully accepted.

Andy.

Old 13-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Ben Clay

My vague recollection is that Mr T recommended a harsh pruning but I, too,
would like to hear the preceived wisdom. I have two small box bushes - one
green/bright green, the other green/brown. The problem started a couple of
months ago. I better rephrase that: the problem became noticable a couple of
months ago.

Ben
(on a top posting mission)

oups.com...

Old 14-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Sacha

On 13/5/05 23:50, in article , "Ben
Clay" wrote:

My vague recollection is that Mr T recommended a harsh pruning but I, too,
would like to hear the preceived wisdom. I have two small box bushes - one
green/bright green, the other green/brown. The problem started a couple of
months ago. I better rephrase that: the problem became noticable a couple of
months ago.

Ben
(on a top posting mission)

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If you top post here, a lot of people who could help you won't bother to
answer you.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Is this Box blight? miljee Gardening 1 04-05-2017 06:51 PM
Blight report service(was How bad is tomato blight?) Steve Harris United Kingdom 4 04-05-2004 06:04 PM
English box, Japanese box growth. Which faster? Nick Cook Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Coelogyne cristata leaf blight Robert Dickow Orchids 1 25-02-2003 03:28 AM
Fire Blight Larry Caldwell alt.forestry 8 30-01-2003 05:05 AM