Bush Mallow pruning

Old 16-02-2003, 12:03 PM
MC Emily

Default Bush Mallow pruning

Hi

I have 2 Bush Mallows that grew to about 6' tall last year. I've left them
since as I believe this is what should be done and then pruned quite hard in
Spring. Is it too early to prune now?

Thanks, Jaqy

Old 16-02-2003, 06:34 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , MC Emily
writes
Hi

I have 2 Bush Mallows that grew to about 6' tall last year. I've left them
since as I believe this is what should be done and then pruned quite hard in
Spring. Is it too early to prune now?

Assuming that you mean shrubby Lavateras (Bush Mallow is the US
vernacular name for Malacothamnus), I'd suggest waiting until they come
into growth, when you can see how what parts of the shoots have been
frosted.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.meden.demon.co.uk/Lavatera/lavatera.html
Old 16-02-2003, 06:59 PM
MC Emily

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In article , MC Emily
writes
Hi

I have 2 Bush Mallows that grew to about 6' tall last year. I've
left them since as I believe this is what should be done and then
pruned quite hard in Spring. Is it too early to prune now?

Assuming that you mean shrubby Lavateras (Bush Mallow is the US
vernacular name for Malacothamnus), I'd suggest waiting until they
come into growth, when you can see how what parts of the shoots have
been frosted.

Yes, I did mean Lavateras. Thanks for advice - I'll leave them alone )

Jaqy

Old 16-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Pete The Gardener

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 12:03:53 -0000, "MC Emily"
wrote:

Hi

I have 2 Bush Mallows that grew to about 6' tall last year. I've left them
since as I believe this is what should be done and then pruned quite hard in
Spring. Is it too early to prune now?

I normally take them half way down in the autumn then do a proper job
in the spring when they start into growth. this way they don't get
knocked about so much by the wind.

--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Old 16-02-2003, 11:57 PM
MC Emily

Pete The Gardener wrote:
I normally take them half way down in the autumn then do a proper job
in the spring when they start into growth. this way they don't get
knocked about so much by the wind.

Good idea. I'll do that next time, thanks. )

Jaqy