Old 23-02-2003, 10:32 AM
Natalie

Default Growing potatoes in tyres

Have any of you had experience of growing potatoes using old tyres?

I've read it might not be a good idea because of chemicals leaking from the
tyres. What do you think?

This is a project that I want to do at school. I'm sure not many of the
children (or their parents) understand how potatoes grow!

Natalie

Old 23-02-2003, 05:17 PM
Fredgibson

"Natalie" wrote in message
Have any of you had experience of growing potatoes using old tyres?

I've read it might not be a good idea because of chemicals leaking from

the
tyres. What do you think?

This is a project that I want to do at school. I'm sure not many of the
children (or their parents) understand how potatoes grow!

Natalie

Hi,I haven't grown them in tyres but in a bucket, but heard about tyres.

Put you first tyre where it is to stop. Fill with compost, then put the
seed potatoes in about half the depth of the compost. Water in and don't
let the compost dry out. When the shoots start to show, put another tyre
on and cover the shoots with compost, Keep covering the shoots till its as
high as you want it, with as many tyre as you want. It certainly is an
interesting project, Best of luck.

Old 23-02-2003, 05:51 PM
Andy Spragg

"Natalie" pushed briefly to the front of the
queue on Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:32:15 -0000, and nailed this to the shed
door:

^ Have any of you had experience of growing potatoes using old tyres?
^
^ I've read it might not be a good idea because of chemicals leaking from the
^ tyres. What do you think?
^
^ This is a project that I want to do at school. I'm sure not many of the
^ children (or their parents) understand how potatoes grow!

Chemical idea sounds plausible, but pragmatically speaking, in respect
of yield, from actual experience of trying it once I would have to say
it was a bit of a disaster. But then, I only tried it after I saw a TV
program where they ended up with what seemed like a solid column of
potatoes inside, so maybe I did something wrong. But then again, I'm
not a complete dunderhead when it comes to growing things, so for a
school project maybe it's a bit too challenging.

Andy

--
sparge at globalnet point co point uk

FWIW(NVM),IMO(NVH)...
Old 23-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:32:15 -0000, "Natalie"
wrote:

Have any of you had experience of growing potatoes using old tyres?

When I tried it a la Bob Flowerdew a few years ago, the problem I
encountered was that the ants loved the earth in the tyres, being
raised, warmer, drier than the surrounding soil. When I investigated
the whole thing was a seething ant mound. I cannot even remember what
happened to the potatoes!
Cheers
Pam

Bristol
Old 23-02-2003, 07:44 PM
Emrys Davies

'Natalie',

Definitely worth a try. As you will see from this site
http://www.netspace.net.au/~atkinson/patch/potato.htm
they appear to be growing quite well under the conditions which you
advocate.

One drawback, as I see it, is that the tyres will tend to attract the
sun far more than conventional methods and consequently the compost will
dry out quickly during hot weather.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 24-02-2003, 02:42 PM
Dwayne

I tried it once in an area that is known for its hear and humidity. I
watered it when the top seemed dry, and had it stacked 5 tires high. When
it was time to harvest the crop, everything below the top tire was a rotted
mess. The tires filled with water and it was too much water.

If I were to do it again, I would take an old tomato cage made of wire, and
use it instead of tires. Same concept, except more area for excess water to
get out.

Good luck. Dwayne

Potatos in tyres George.com Gardening 12 09-01-2008 12:13 PM
using old tyres Broadback United Kingdom 1 27-02-2006 10:30 PM
Old tyres on allotment Zinc Potterman United Kingdom 20 24-02-2006 04:42 PM
Growing spuds in tyres Vicky United Kingdom 11 02-05-2004 06:09 PM
Wormery from tyres? picti United Kingdom 1 10-05-2003 04:20 PM