Old 21-02-2003, 09:38 AM
Robert Davies

Default Dwarf bamboo

That sounds a bit drastic. The usual advice with bamboos is that they
don't take to harsh pruning because unlike most plants they store a
lot of their energy reserves in the stems, not the roots.

How about trimming them back neatly by about a third then waiting for
the new growth to hide the old? Bamboo tends to look a bit tatty at
this time of year but will start to recover with new leaves and shoots
in the spring.

Robert

----------
In article , Steve Jackson
wrote:

Hi - hope someone can help me

I have two dwarf bamboo bushes either side of my pond.

According to 'Ground Force', these should be cut back to ground level in
February.

Is this true?

And if so, what are the advantages of this?

Thanks in advance
--
Steve Jackson

Old 22-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Adam Davis

I have never heard of having to cut a bamboo back to ground level.

A bit of tidying up and removal of the dead stuff helps them.

Also remember that when they start to grow that you leave the culm sheaths
at the base of the bamboo because contain trace elements that will be washed
back into the soil and feed the bamboo.

Adam

Old 23-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Fredgibson

I have some tall bamboo, about 8ft fully grown, and always cut it back to
about 6in off the ground. Don't know the species but always feel guilty
about throwing the cane away as there are too many of them to use.
"Adam Davis" wrote in message
I have never heard of having to cut a bamboo back to ground level.

A bit of tidying up and removal of the dead stuff helps them.

Also remember that when they start to grow that you leave the culm sheaths
at the base of the bamboo because contain trace elements that will be

washed
back into the soil and feed the bamboo.

Adam
"Steve Jackson" wrote in message
Hi - hope someone can help me

I have two dwarf bamboo bushes either side of my pond.

According to 'Ground Force', these should be cut back to ground level in
February.

Is this true?

And if so, what are the advantages of this?

Thanks in advance
--
Steve Jackson

dwarf vs. ultra dwarf fruit trees Me Gardening 4 11-11-2008 08:42 PM
height of dwarf runner and dwarf French beans bajmoe United Kingdom 1 03-06-2008 10:59 PM
Dwarf Apple & Dwarf Avocada Tree Questions JorgNS Gardening 2 01-02-2005 04:52 AM
Tender dwarf bamboo Jim McLaren Bamboo 3 08-01-2004 09:44 PM
Dwarf bamboo Steve Jackson United Kingdom 0 20-02-2003 08:34 PM