Old 30-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Harold Walker

Default Time to trim your hedge.

"martin" wrote in message
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...633151,00.html

I bet my ex neighbor would love to see that law passed over here....he
installed a swimming pool at the end of his garden which was too close to
our bedroom...that was OK except he had two noisy brats that invited a whole
bunch of kids over...it was bedlam at times and the parents did nothing to
control them...so...up went a Leylandii Cyprus hedge....we moved to another
location two years later but now have the pleasure of seeing the 'living
fence' about 10 metres high, still growing and blocking out the sunlight
from the pool....the folk that bought our house love the Leylandii and are
allowing to grow...H

Old 30-05-2005, 10:07 PM
ned

Harold Walker wrote:
"martin" wrote in message
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...633151,00.html

I bet my ex neighbor would love to see that law passed over

here....he
installed a swimming pool at the end of his garden which was too
close to our bedroom...that was OK except he had two noisy brats

that
invited a whole bunch of kids over...it was bedlam at times and the
parents did nothing to control them...so...up went a Leylandii

Cyprus
hedge....we moved to another location two years later but now have
the pleasure of seeing the 'living fence' about 10 metres high,

still
growing and blocking out the sunlight from the pool....the folk that
bought our house love the Leylandii and are allowing to grow...H

Y'see. There is a place for everything. :-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 27.05.2005

Old 30-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Troy

martin Woofed :

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...633151,00.html

Read it this morning - interesting !

A house in our road has had a 20 ft high well maintained leylandii hedge
for some time. Until recently the house has been overlooking fields. Fields
now have houses built on them (yuk). A house has been built next to the 20
ft leylandii hedge.

Can the owners of the new house demand that the hedge (which was there
before their house) be trimmed to 2 metres?

Interesting :-)
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.
Old 31-05-2005, 05:51 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Troy wrote:
martin Woofed :

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...633151,00.html

Read it this morning - interesting !

A house in our road has had a 20 ft high well maintained leylandii
hedge for some time. Until recently the house has been overlooking
fields. Fields now have houses built on them (yuk). A house has been
built next to the 20 ft leylandii hedge.

Can the owners of the new house demand that the hedge (which was there
before their house) be trimmed to 2 metres?

Interesting :-)

I would say no as they would have known about it when they purchased the
property. If the hedge had been 6' when they moved in and then grew another
7" then yes.

If they didn't want to live beside a Leylandii, they should have bought
somewhere else...

Old 31-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Draven

"martin" wrote in message
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...633151,00.html

My house level is lower than my neighbours by 3 feet.
The hedge is planted in a raised bed which adds approx. 3.5 feet to the
hedge height on my side.

I recently cut my side of the hedge to approx. 5 feet but with the added
height of the raised bed this equates to a hedge height of about 8 feet.

My neighbours cut their side yesterday but cut their side to approx 6.5 feet
thinking 5 feet was too small.

Where does the law stand on this?
Is the height of the hedge calculated top to root or from top to walking
ground level and does it take into account different house levels?