Old 26-02-2003, 02:46 PM
Colin Brook

Default Re-posting: - Bougainvillaea problem - blackened leaf (tips)

Hello again,

Sorry to bother again but I'm re-posting my bougainvillaea problem
because very unusually there wasn't any response to the first posting
(unusual on this newsgroup anyway) and I'm really keen to try to get
this plant back to full health if it's possible.

Any help please with the likely cause for this problem.

The bougainvillaea has been thriving; growing about 8 feet high over the
door from house to conservatory. About two or three weeks ago the tips
of the newly emerging leaves blackened (in some cases extending to the
whole leaf) and there is now no further leaf growth. All leaves are
affected.

The plant is one of three which have all thrived over the last four
years without problem. They are all in Seramis and the temperature in
the conservatory has not been below 5șC during the winter. The other two
are doing fine with new leaf growth emerging.

I suspect over watering but the blackening is very strong and I'm not
absolutely convinced. I would appreciate any other suggestions to
consider and/or how to deal with it.

Regards, Colin
--
Colin Brook - Winchester (UK)

Tel:+44(0)1962-714030 Fax:+44(0)8701641293 Mobile:07976258703
Old 26-02-2003, 02:58 PM
Martin Sykes

"Colin Brook" wrote in message
Hello again,
The bougainvillaea has been thriving; growing about 8 feet high over the
door from house to conservatory. About two or three weeks ago the tips
of the newly emerging leaves blackened (in some cases extending to the
whole leaf) and there is now no further leaf growth. All leaves are
affected.

I didn't post anything last time because I'm really just guessing but the
damage does sound like frost damage. Is the affected plant in slightly
different circumstances to the other three where it might have got a couple
of degrees colder? Maybe someone opened the window for ventilation or maybe
there is a natural draught which might have got it. Alternatively, maybe
overwatering and a slightly warmer position have started it into growth at a
different time so that its new growth was more susceptable?

Martin

Old 26-02-2003, 08:01 PM
Rod

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message ...
"Colin Brook" wrote in message
Hello again,
The bougainvillaea has been thriving; growing about 8 feet high over the
door from house to conservatory. About two or three weeks ago the tips
of the newly emerging leaves blackened (in some cases extending to the
whole leaf) and there is now no further leaf growth. All leaves are
affected.

I didn't post anything last time because I'm really just guessing but the
damage does sound like frost damage. Is the affected plant in slightly
different circumstances to the other three where it might have got a couple
of degrees colder? Maybe someone opened the window for ventilation or maybe
there is a natural draught which might have got it. Alternatively, maybe
overwatering and a slightly warmer position have started it into growth at a

I'm tempted to agree with that. Temperature can vary a lot in a structure like that. You will have many different
micro-climates in there which can cause you trouble or which you can exploit to the advantage of your plants. Do some
measuring and recording, watch your plants and make your conservatory even more useful.

Rod

Old 28-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Colin Brook

In article , Rod
writes
[...]

Thanks for those points Martin and Rod - in looking into it further I
think it may well be a combination of factors - it definitely did get
'well' watered a little while ago and, subsequently, there was some
particularly cold weather - it looks like this particular plant may be
getting a rather cold down draught from an air gap above it. We're going
to wait and see now for a while.

Regards, Colin