Old 27-02-2003, 09:33 PM
Kevin & Karin

Default Climbing rose

Hi,
Sorry I could have used my last post. I want a climbing rose for a pergola
sides and top but without thorns. What is a good variety? bearing in mind
I'm new to all this.
cheers
Kevin

Old 27-02-2003, 10:32 PM

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:33:53 -0000, "Kevin & Karin"
wrote:

Hi,
Sorry I could have used my last post. I want a climbing rose for a pergola
sides and top but without thorns. What is a good variety? bearing in mind
I'm new to all this.

We are far from experts at roses but about the only one that fitted
the bill that we could find was Zephirine Drouhin (sic), which also
looks and smells nice. We planted two, two years ago, in partial
shade under the awning that surrounds the southwest-facing front of
our house. One died, the other didn't.
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk
Old 27-02-2003, 10:41 PM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

Hi,
Sorry I could have used my last post. I want a climbing rose for a pergola
sides and top but without thorns. What is a good variety? bearing in mind
I'm new to all this.

We are far from experts at roses but about the only one that fitted
the bill that we could find was Zephirine Drouhin (sic), which also
looks and smells nice. We planted two, two years ago, in partial
shade under the awning that surrounds the southwest-facing front of
our house. One died, the other didn't.

Yes. It is an excellent rose, but not disease resistant. If it
fails, I suggest going for a honeysuckle or some other non-thorny
climbing species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 27-02-2003, 10:48 PM

wrote:

Hi,
Sorry I could have used my last post. I want a climbing rose for a pergola
sides and top but without thorns.

No, you did the right thing to start a new thread on a new topic.

Many people will only start reading threads that have subjects that
appeal to them, so a rose expert with no interest in bark or cocoa
husk would have missed your rose question.
Old 28-02-2003, 06:44 AM
Zizz

wrote:

Hi,
Sorry I could have used my last post. I want a climbing rose for a

pergola
sides and top but without thorns.

No, you did the right thing to start a new thread on a new topic.

Many people will only start reading threads that have subjects that
appeal to them, so a rose expert with no interest in bark or cocoa
husk would have missed your rose question.
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk

Definately agree there.

You may want to have a look at this site:
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/ for info. Click the 'Choosing
Roses & Cultivation' then 'Roses for Specific Purposes/Positions'
HTH.

Old 28-02-2003, 08:52 AM
Gnomo

Kevin wrote:
Sorry I could have used my last post. I want a climbing rose for a pergola
sides and top but without thorns. What is a good variety? bearing in mind

.... I live in Southern Europe so I can't be of much help, but - you might
try to find out if any kind of Rosa Banksiae is hardy enough for the
British climate.

--
Gnomo
....any way the wind blows...

Old 28-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Jane Lumley

In article , Kevin &
Karin writes
Hi,
Sorry I could have used my last post. I want a climbing rose for a pergola
sides and top but without thorns. What is a good variety? bearing in mind
I'm new to all this.
cheers
Kevin

You don't say what colour you want, but....

Zephirine Drouhin is wonderful, dark pink, scented and completley
Bourbonish, though you do need to spray fopr mildew and keep her well
watered and fed. She has a daughter called Kathleen Harrop who is paler
pink, slighlty less free-flowering but with the same good qualities.
Another thornless climber, absolutely trouble-free in my garden, is
Amadis, which has rich purplish flowers and also has lovely reddish
stems that look nice on a fence or pergola - you can get it from Peter
Beales. Golden Showers only has a few thorns, and is great on a north
wall.
--
Jane Lumley
Old 28-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Charlie Pridham

We are far from experts at roses but about the only one that fitted
the bill that we could find was Zephirine Drouhin (sic), which also
looks and smells nice. We planted two, two years ago, in partial
shade under the awning that surrounds the southwest-facing front of
our house. One died, the other didn't.

Yes. It is an excellent rose, but not disease resistant. If it
fails, I suggest going for a honeysuckle or some other non-thorny
climbing species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,

Other rose contenders are 'Violette' 'Veilchenblua' 'Clair Jacquier' and
'Madam Alfred Carrier' (spelling may be dodgy as I haven't checked!) I find
ZD very difficult to grow and have given up with it.
How about Solanum laxum 'Album' (S.jasminoides 'Album')
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 01-03-2003, 02:17 AM
Hussein M.

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 06:44:09 GMT, "Zizz"
wrote:

You may want to have a look at this site:
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/ for info. Click the 'Choosing
Roses & Cultivation' then 'Roses for Specific Purposes/Positions'
HTH.

and this one:
Peter Beales
http://www.classicroses.co.uk/

I am trying to swamp a cercis (heavily lopped) with a Pauls
Himalayan Musk - grows to what ? 6 metres? and hopefully will do OK.
It is a species rose and cost me 8 pounds odd (12 inc P&P).

Their selection is truly vast and they have a similar search engine to
the David Austen Roses Site.

Anyway the Musk was got from them and arrived with healthy bare roots
at the time they decided would be best for the upheaval. (it was a
strange autumn was it not and I received an email from them
explaining)

Grow a little garden

Hussein
Old 01-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Kevin & Karin

"Kevin & Karin" wrote in message
Hi,
Sorry I could have used my last post. I want a climbing rose for a pergola
sides and top but without thorns. What is a good variety? bearing in mind
I'm new to all this.
cheers
Kevin

Thanks so much, I've lots to go at now. Nice of you all to take the time to
help.
cheers
Kevin

Old 01-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

How about Solanum laxum 'Album' (S.jasminoides 'Album')

Only where you are! It wouldn't have much chance here. I am going
to have another go at S. crispum, in case the current mild winters
continue.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

Climbing rose - White-rose.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 5 12-04-2008 06:30 PM
Kew Rambler (Cass!) Climbing Red Rose? Radika Kesavan Roses 7 20-04-2003 05:46 PM
Climbing/rambling Rose - Which one ? Pip United Kingdom 5 12-04-2003 10:08 PM
Climbing Red Rose? tsmay Roses 7 02-04-2003 06:56 PM
Everblooming Climbing Red Rose Dave Roses 1 25-02-2003 02:04 AM