Old 03-03-2003, 11:09 AM
Louise

Default Is pampas grass possible in NE facing garden?

Dear All,

I love pampas grass (even though our garden is quite small) and would
love to have a go at planting some in our garden....in an area which
gets a couple of hours lunchtime sun in the day.

Can you please tell me the conditions it needs/ prefers?

I assume it prefers wet areas? Our garden is heavy clay and baked dry
in the summer and waterlogged in the winter . Does this sound like an
ok place for it to thrive? (Its more the summer droughts that concern
me).

Also, how quick does it grow?

Your tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Louise
Old 03-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Louise
writes
Dear All,

I love pampas grass (even though our garden is quite small) and would
love to have a go at planting some in our garden....in an area which
gets a couple of hours lunchtime sun in the day.

My next door neighbour has some in this situation. It is, he says, one
of the smaller varieties. It is still taller than him when it flowers.

Can you please tell me the conditions it needs/ prefers?

This copes in sticky yorkshire clay.

I assume it prefers wet areas?

Why? Isn't it from S American pampas? Is that wet? (I'm showing my
ignorance here!)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 07-03-2003, 06:49 AM
anton

Kay Easton wrote in message ...
In article , Louise
writes
Dear All,

I love pampas grass (even though our garden is quite small) and would
love to have a go at planting some in our garden....in an area which
gets a couple of hours lunchtime sun in the day.

My next door neighbour has some in this situation. It is, he says, one
of the smaller varieties. It is still taller than him when it flowers.

Can you please tell me the conditions it needs/ prefers?

This copes in sticky yorkshire clay.

I assume it prefers wet areas?

Why? Isn't it from S American pampas? Is that wet? (I'm showing my
ignorance here!)

It can certainly cope in the dry, too- it does well here in N E
Essex, which in previous years (not this one :-( ) has been v dry.
It also does well in the S of France in a lot of heat.

--
Anton

Instant bedding for East facing border in South facing garden? David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 7 15-04-2006 12:52 PM
Pampas grass what do we do with it? code_wrong United Kingdom 6 04-03-2003 09:36 PM
Can Pampas Grass cuttings be put in compost? [email protected] United Kingdom 1 03-03-2003 08:10 AM
Pampas Grass Michael United Kingdom 2 29-11-2002 10:53 PM
Pampas Grass Barry Watts United Kingdom 3 08-11-2002 11:27 AM