Pieris: Forest Flame?

Old 23-06-2005, 04:47 PM

Location: Ireland
Default Pieris: Forest Flame?

Hello,

I have a beautiful Pieris: Forest Flame, i have it about 6-7 years now.

Over the last few years it has started to get woody and bare from the bottom up to about halfway, is there anything i can do to get more growth at the bottom?

Thank you,

Shannon.
Old 29-06-2005, 07:54 PM

Location: Ireland

Originally Posted by Shannon114
Hello,

I have a beautiful Pieris: Forest Flame, i have it about 6-7 years now.

Over the last few years it has started to get woody and bare from the bottom up to about halfway, is there anything i can do to get more growth at the bottom?

Thank you,

Shannon.
Can anyone help with the above problem?
Thank you.

Shannon.
Old 30-06-2005, 09:46 AM
Tumbleweed

"Shannon114" wrote in message

Shannon114 Wrote:
Hello,

I have a beautiful Pieris: Forest Flame, i have it about 6-7 years
now.

Over the last few years it has started to get woody and bare from the
bottom up to about halfway, is there anything i can do to get more
growth at the bottom?

Thank you,

Shannon.

Can anyone help with the above problem?
Thank you.

Shannon.

take a cutting? I have one that is similar, perhaps I should do the same,
presumably I'll have to wait until the spring now?
I cant see how you'd encourage the bare wood to sprout other than trimming
it back significantly which I wouldnt want to do unless I had a 'backup'
copy :-)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 30-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Cicero

Shannon114 wrote:
Shannon114 Wrote:

Hello,

I have a beautiful Pieris: Forest Flame, i have it about 6-7 years
now.

Over the last few years it has started to get woody and bare from the
bottom up to about halfway, is there anything i can do to get more
growth at the bottom?

Thank you,

Shannon.

Can anyone help with the above problem?
Thank you.

Shannon.

==================
You could try to improve its general condition by mulching with peat if
you haven't already done so. Pieris needs an acid soil.

Cic.
Old 30-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Olivier59

Shannon114 wrote:

Hello,

I have a beautiful Pieris: Forest Flame, i have it about 6-7 years
now.

Over the last few years it has started to get woody and bare from the
bottom up to about halfway, is there anything i can do to get more
growth at the bottom?

Thank you,

Shannon.

Hi,

I hope you don't mind a French gardener trying to answer your question
(I'm reading this forum since a couple of days and thought I might be of
some help on this topic).

I believe there is not much you can do. Unlike many cultivars of Pieris
japonica that are known to have a compact habit, Pieris 'Forest Flame'
[P. formosa 'Wakehurst' x P. japonica] tends to grow into a (very)
little tree with time. Wether you like this or not is a matter of
personal taste (I think it looks lovely) but I'm afraid cutting it back
is taking the risk of ruining its shape (I'm also afraid Pieris in
general don't like beeing cut back, above all drastically, and badly
sprout on old wood).

Maybe you could take advantage of this situation and plant some lower
shrubs and/or perennials enjoying the same growing conditions (moist but
well drained acid soil) such as compact forms of Pieris, azaleas, ferns,
astilbes... ? Just a suggestion.

Otherwise, you could try some light pruning but then again, this would
not be my option - can't wait to see them becoming little trees in my
garden ;-)

Regards,
Olivier (from Northern France).

PS : please excuse my rusty and approximate English.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:14 PM

Location: Ireland

Originally Posted by Olivier59
Shannon114 wrote:

[...]

Thank you all for your help.

Thank you Olivier for your tips, i would never have thought about your suggestions, great ideas.
I don't like to cut back either and i love my little tree too.

Many thanks again to all.

Shannon