Old 09-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Registered User

Location: Norfolk, UK
Red face Deadheading know how . . .

I am always confused when told to deadhead various flowers, never certain exactly what part/s are supposed to be taken off etc.

My current question is regarding both upright and trailing geraniums and verbena. When the parts ( you see I'm so technical ) of the verbena that were flowering sort of 'dry up' should I take them off? I haven't been and some of them are starting to look a bit yellowish.

With the geraniums, do you just pull off the flowers or do you 'snip' directly behind where all the flowers were?

Sorry if this seems a tad simplistic, but I'm a newbie to gardening. Possibly a tad simplistic, too. lol
Old 09-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Emrys Davies

--
KellyD

This very good site explains and shows you exactly what to do.

http://www.ehow.com/how_9293_deadhead-flowers.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 09-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Emrys Davies

"KellyD" wrote in message

I am always confused when told to deadhead various flowers, never
certain exactly what part/s are supposed to be taken off etc.

My current question is regarding both upright and trailing geraniums
and verbena. When the parts ( you see I'm so technical ) of the
verbena that were flowering sort of 'dry up' should I take them off?

haven't been and some of them are starting to look a bit yellowish.

With the geraniums, do you just pull off the flowers or do you 'snip'
directly behind where all the flowers were?

Sorry if this seems a tad simplistic, but I'm a newbie to gardening.
Possibly a tad simplistic, too. lol

--
KellyD

Another site which you might find helpful.

http://tinyurl.com/csmb3

Regards,
Emrys Davies

Old 11-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Registered User

Location: Norfolk, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys Davies
Another site which you might find helpful.

http://tinyurl.com/csmb3

Regards,
Emrys Davies
Thanks, the first site was most helpful!

Deadheading Clematis mfs1011 United Kingdom 2 04-07-2003 09:52 AM
Deadheading roses? Tono Gardening 4 30-06-2003 07:56 PM
Deadheading Mutabilis! Shiva Roses 7 28-06-2003 01:56 AM
deadheading news.verizon.net Gardening 10 19-05-2003 09:56 PM
Deadheading heliotrope Adam Schwartz Gardening 1 07-05-2003 12:44 AM