Old 09-07-2005, 11:24 AM
David Gibson

Default Blackbirds Pecking/Wrecking Lawn - Help !!

Hi,

Would anyone be able to assist me in a problem I have with Blackbirds
pecking at our lawn. It's got so bad they are pulling out the grass
leaving patches about an inch or two wide all over the lawn. Perhaps
more so at the area of lawn nearest to the house

It has happened very sporadically in the past but nothing as bad as
now. I have about 50 patches where they have continously pecked down
to the undersoil. The lawn is about 60ft by 30ft so any treatments
would need to factor that area into solutions

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Regards
Dave Gibson
Old 09-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
David Gibson wrote:

Would anyone be able to assist me in a problem I have with Blackbirds
pecking at our lawn. It's got so bad they are pulling out the grass
leaving patches about an inch or two wide all over the lawn. Perhaps
more so at the area of lawn nearest to the house

It has happened very sporadically in the past but nothing as bad as
now. I have about 50 patches where they have continously pecked down
to the undersoil. The lawn is about 60ft by 30ft so any treatments
would need to factor that area into solutions

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Yes. Pour yourself a Pimms, and try to imagine what the sun would
look like.

They are after grubs and similar in the lawn, and there is a high
chance that the latter would have done more damage than the birds.
The UK is one of the few countries where lawns are a natural ecology,
so really all you have to do is to leave it to recover. Seriously.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Registered User

Maybe you could try distracting them with other food? I hear they like fruit...

Bob
Old 10-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Jupiter

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 12:49:59 +0000, undergroundbob
wrote:

Maybe you could try distracting them with other food? I hear they like
fruit...

Bob

Yes, grow cherries g
Entice some crows into the garden. They frighten everything else
away. Noisy beggars, though.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:58 AM
Phil L

David Gibson wrote:
:: Hi,
::
:: Would anyone be able to assist me in a problem I have with Blackbirds
:: pecking at our lawn. It's got so bad they are pulling out the grass
:: leaving patches about an inch or two wide all over the lawn. Perhaps
:: more so at the area of lawn nearest to the house
::
:: It has happened very sporadically in the past but nothing as bad as
:: now. I have about 50 patches where they have continously pecked down
:: to the undersoil. The lawn is about 60ft by 30ft so any treatments
:: would need to factor that area into solutions

They are doing you a favour, your lawn is suffering from a severe case of
leatherjacket infestation, the blackbirds are feeding on these, your grass
will feel the benefit of the blackbird's 'grooming' for years to come and a
bit of scarifying never did any lawn a bit of harm so leave them to get on
with thier task, once the infestation has depleted, your lawn will thrive
and the blackbirds will move on, hopefully to my lawn.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

re blackbirds and mulch Bob Holly United Kingdom 41 05-06-2004 12:12 AM
Blackbirds Lucy United Kingdom 42 19-10-2003 11:32 PM
birds pecking my tomatoes! Jerry Minasi Edible Gardening 9 28-08-2003 07:02 PM
Re(2): birds pecking my tomatoes! Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 24-08-2003 08:22 PM
controlling marauding blackbirds? John Savage Australia 0 05-04-2003 07:33 AM