Conifer disease

Old 11-07-2005, 01:45 PM
JeffK

Default Conifer disease

Hi all. I'm a relatively inexperienced gardener, so this might be common
knowledge, to all but me!...

What's the disease that seems to be damaging conifers throughout the UK?
Large sections of foliage dying off, looking very dry & dead. Does anyone
know what this is, & what can be done about it?

Is this one of those diseases caused when an exotic species is imported,
bringing with it a virus, or fungus, etc that is benign to that species, but
that other plants present here have no immunity to?

Any info/help gratefully received.

TIA, JeffK

Old 11-07-2005, 04:18 PM
chad

Hello Jeff. we have atree desease like a crustation ,yellow/green.
killing off lilac and plum and others is this like yours and have you
found a cure yet.
thanks chad, somerset

Old 11-07-2005, 05:14 PM
JeffK

Hi Chad.

No. what i've seen around the country, & got on my own conifers, (i've seen
it on various types of conifer) is foliage that's gone brown & very dry. It
crumbles when rubbed between the fingers. It's as if the plants are dying
from a lack of water. (If it is a virus, that could be interfering with the
plants water uptake mechanisms.......)

oups.com...

Old 11-07-2005, 05:21 PM
[email protected]

JeffK wrote:
Hi Chad.

No. what i've seen around the country, & got on my own conifers, (i've seen
it on various types of conifer) is foliage that's gone brown & very dry. It
crumbles when rubbed between the fingers. It's as if the plants are dying
from a lack of water. (If it is a virus, that could be interfering with the
plants water uptake mechanisms.......)

.... maybe it's lack of water.

--
Chris Green

Old 11-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Spider

JeffK wrote in message
Hi all. I'm a relatively inexperienced gardener, so this might be common
knowledge, to all but me!...

What's the disease that seems to be damaging conifers throughout the UK?
Large sections of foliage dying off, looking very dry & dead. Does anyone
know what this is, & what can be done about it?

Is this one of those diseases caused when an exotic species is imported,
bringing with it a virus, or fungus, etc that is benign to that species,

but
that other plants present here have no immunity to?

Any info/help gratefully received.

TIA, JeffK

Hi Jeff,

It could, of course, be drought.

Have a google on Phytophthera - a disease of many plants, and conifers in
particular.

Spider

Old 11-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Broadback

Spider wrote:

JeffK wrote in message

Hi all. I'm a relatively inexperienced gardener, so this might be common
knowledge, to all but me!...

What's the disease that seems to be damaging conifers throughout the UK?
Large sections of foliage dying off, looking very dry & dead. Does anyone
know what this is, & what can be done about it?

Is this one of those diseases caused when an exotic species is imported,
bringing with it a virus, or fungus, etc that is benign to that species,

but

that other plants present here have no immunity to?

Any info/help gratefully received.

TIA, JeffK

Hi Jeff,

It could, of course, be drought.

Have a google on Phytophthera - a disease of many plants, and conifers in
particular.

Spider

Wind burn?

--
All replies to this email address are deleted on receipt.

Common sense, not common market.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:00 PM
JeffK

Don't think it's drought as i water my garden regularly & they're also well
sheltered from the wind.

I think I remember someone saying something to me about a disease effecting
conifers, but i may be remembering wrong.

It doesn't look like Phytophthera to me, either

Old 12-07-2005, 02:43 AM
Sue

"JeffK" wrote
Don't think it's drought as i water my garden regularly & they're also
well sheltered from the wind.

I think I remember someone saying something to me about a disease
effecting conifers, but i may be remembering wrong.

It doesn't look like Phytophthera to me, either

Could it be due to cypress aphid damage?
See RHS page: http://tinyurl.co.uk/3y8u

There's several conifer hedges around my way affected like this. Trouble is
once the brown patches are extensive there's not a lot you can do, because
the foliage won't usually regenerate from older wood if you cut it the dead
parts back.

--
Sue

Old 12-07-2005, 01:40 PM
pammyT

JeffK wrote:
Hi all. I'm a relatively inexperienced gardener, so this might be
common knowledge, to all but me!...

What's the disease that seems to be damaging conifers throughout the
UK? Large sections of foliage dying off, looking very dry & dead.
Does anyone know what this is, & what can be done about it?

Is this one of those diseases caused when an exotic species is
imported, bringing with it a virus, or fungus, etc that is benign to
that species, but that other plants present here have no immunity to?

Any info/help gratefully received.

TIA, JeffK

Dunno what it is but where can I get some for my neighbours leyllandii? Also
for their xmas trre which they thoughtfully planted 2 feet away from my
bathroom wall and which has gown 3 feet this year already!

--
purebred poultry
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl

Old 13-07-2005, 01:53 AM
Sue

Sorry, previous link doesn't seem to work now.

See http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ress_aphid.asp

or http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/months/july.asp

--
Sue

Old 14-07-2005, 12:56 PM
nambucca

"Broadback" wrote in message
Spider wrote:

JeffK wrote in message

Hi all. I'm a relatively inexperienced gardener, so this might be

common
knowledge, to all but me!...

What's the disease that seems to be damaging conifers throughout the

UK?
Large sections of foliage dying off, looking very dry & dead. Does

anyone
know what this is, & what can be done about it?

Conifers are not designed to withstand the kind of drought conditions we
have experienced in recent years
Plus they dont like too much water either and they all die from base up plus
light deprivation causes them to go brown too ........hence why so many
hedges only have foliage higher up if they are planted against a fence or
wall

Old 14-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "nambucca" contains these words:

Conifers are not designed to withstand the kind of drought conditions we
have experienced in recent years

You may have, but lots of the UK hasn't had any drought at all. Do we
know where the OP is?

Janet.