Old 12-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Pam Moore

Default Sterilising water butt

This is on a similar theme to "Stertilised water".
A friend has a rain-water butt which got very smelly.
She was told to put Milton in it. I told her I wouldn't use water
containing Milton on my garden!
Is there anything she can use which will remove the smell and not
render the water unusable. Had it been mine the water would not have
stayed there long enough to get smelly!
The butt is fixed on the wall with down pipe connected and not easily
accessible.
TIA

Pam in Bristol
Old 12-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Martin Brown

Pam Moore wrote:

This is on a similar theme to "Stertilised water".
A friend has a rain-water butt which got very smelly.
She was told to put Milton in it. I told her I wouldn't use water
containing Milton on my garden!

A nearly pure sodium hypochlorite solution like Milton without excess
surfactants and thickener found in toilet bleach should be OK and cheap.
It will decompose to leave slightly more alkaline water and table salt
over a period of a week or two in the open air with sunlight.

NB not such a good idea if the water butt smells stronly of ammonia -
then you could get some really nasty compounds formed. The warning on
bleach bottles not to mix with other household cleaners is serious.

Is there anything she can use which will remove the smell and not
render the water unusable. Had it been mine the water would not have
stayed there long enough to get smelly!
The butt is fixed on the wall with down pipe connected and not easily
accessible.

Siphon it all out and start again?

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 12-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

This is on a similar theme to "Stertilised water".
A friend has a rain-water butt which got very smelly.
She was told to put Milton in it. I told her I wouldn't use water
containing Milton on my garden!
Is there anything she can use which will remove the smell and not
render the water unusable. Had it been mine the water would not have
stayed there long enough to get smelly!
The butt is fixed on the wall with down pipe connected and not easily
accessible.

It shouldn't smell, if she excludes all light, mice and birds with a
closefitting lid, and a cheap drainpipe filter top to prevent
leaves/mice /birds falling down the spout from the gutter above.

I suspect a bird or mouse has got in somehow and is decomposing, The
answer is to drain, tip, rinse and refill.

Janet

Old 12-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:33:32 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

It shouldn't smell, if she excludes all light, mice and birds with a
closefitting lid, and a cheap drainpipe filter top to prevent
leaves/mice /birds falling down the spout from the gutter above.

I suspect a bird or mouse has got in somehow and is decomposing, The
answer is to drain, tip, rinse and refill.

That latter suggestion is exactly what my friend thinks may have
happened. The only entrance is via the pipe from the gutter which has
no filter at the top!
Thanks folks.

Pam in Bristol

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking? AL_n United Kingdom 73 11-03-2012 12:00 PM
Sterilising Soil in Greenhouse Drew United Kingdom 1 02-08-2005 02:12 PM
Sterilising compost? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 8 25-05-2005 10:32 AM
Sterilising garden Pablo Emerius Texas 1 17-07-2004 06:10 AM
[IBC] Sterilising pots? Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 14 28-07-2003 08:02 AM