Old 22-07-2005, 10:53 AM
vsop

Default Liquid for Lime-Hater Plants.

I'm told that my new acid loving Blueberries (in containers) should be
watered only with rainwater......but in these dry conditions I no longer
have any !
My tap water is neutral ph, so, could I not make suitable non-limey liquid
by throwing a handful of ericaceous compost in a bucketful of tapwater and
letting it "stew" for a couple of days.
Would this have any detrimental effects on the plants ?
Does anyone see any problems, or can offer alternative advice.
Best Regards
VSOP

Old 22-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Martin Brown

vsop wrote:

I'm told that my new acid loving Blueberries (in containers) should be
watered only with rainwater......but in these dry conditions I no longer
have any !
My tap water is neutral ph, so, could I not make suitable non-limey liquid
by throwing a handful of ericaceous compost in a bucketful of tapwater and
letting it "stew" for a couple of days.
Would this have any detrimental effects on the plants ?
Does anyone see any problems, or can offer alternative advice.

Mine get tapwater when rainwater is in short supply and don't seem to
mind all that much. Add some Miracid feed to it if in any doubt.

The insides of your kettle is a good guide to how hard the water is. If
you have to descale it every month or it blows fuses you have extremely
hard water (like Belgium). If it is clean inside then your water is very
soft - most places are somewhere inbetween. Water engineers tend to add
a trace of lime to very soft water to dicourage it from corroding pipes.

As long as most of their water is soft rainwater the odd bit of tapwater
will do them a lot less harm than prolonged drought.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 22-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Kay

In article , vsop
writes
I'm told that my new acid loving Blueberries (in containers) should be
watered only with rainwater......but in these dry conditions I no longer
have any !
My tap water is neutral ph, so, could I not make suitable non-limey liquid
by throwing a handful of ericaceous compost in a bucketful of tapwater and
letting it "stew" for a couple of days.
Would this have any detrimental effects on the plants ?
Does anyone see any problems, or can offer alternative advice.

Are you in a hard water area or a soft water area? If your tap water is
soft, then you will probably be OK.

If not, then de-frost your deep freeze and use the melted water from
that. It's not going to last you for very long though!

--
Kay

Old 22-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Robert

"vsop" wrote in message
: I'm told that my new acid loving Blueberries (in containers) should be
: watered only with rainwater......but in these dry conditions I no longer
: have any !
: My tap water is neutral ph, so, could I not make suitable non-limey liquid
: by throwing a handful of ericaceous compost in a bucketful of tapwater and
: letting it "stew" for a couple of days.
: Would this have any detrimental effects on the plants ?
: Does anyone see any problems, or can offer alternative advice.
: Best Regards
: VSOP

Move to Plymouth and use tapwater (tongue firmly in cheek lol)

Old 22-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Bob Smith \(UK\)

"Robert" wrote in message

"vsop" wrote in message
: I'm told that my new acid loving Blueberries (in containers) should be
: watered only with rainwater......but in these dry conditions I no longer
: have any !
: My tap water is neutral ph, so, could I not make suitable non-limey
liquid
: by throwing a handful of ericaceous compost in a bucketful of tapwater
and
: letting it "stew" for a couple of days.
: Would this have any detrimental effects on the plants ?
: Does anyone see any problems, or can offer alternative advice.
: Best Regards
: VSOP

I have seen it state on a bottle of ericaceous plant food that it will
"turn" your soil ericaceous.

Bob