Old 10-03-2003, 06:33 AM
gray bale

Default Homone Rooting Powder NAA

I am told that the hormone rooting powder you normally buy is Beta
Naphthaleneacetic Acid (NAA).

But the commerical growers use Alpha Naphthaleneacetic Acid (NAA).

Anybody have any experience of this, or even where I can get some from ??

Old 10-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , gray bale
writes
I am told that the hormone rooting powder you normally buy is Beta
Naphthaleneacetic Acid (NAA).

But the commerical growers use Alpha Naphthaleneacetic Acid (NAA).

Anybody have any experience of this, or even where I can get some from ??

I have said this time and time again
"YOU DON'T NEED HORMONE ROOTING POWDER"!!!!!!

HORMONE ROOTING POWDER

If you take cuttings at the right time in the right place there is
absolutely no need to use root hormone. In fact using the stuff can have
adverse effects.

According to the RHS book on techniques
---------------------------------------

". . . a substance that sets fruits at one concentration and produces
roots on stem cuttings at another may be used as a weedkiller at yet
another. Thus it is exceedingly important to follow dosage instructions
exactly in order to obtain the desired results.
It is also important to realize that these chemicals do not
constitute a panacea for success: they will not induce rooting responses
if the inherent ability of the stem to produce roots is not present.
Their action is merely to enhance the innate capacity of the stem to
produce its roots both in greater quantities and quicker than might
otherwise have been the case. If the stem cutting is propagated from a
healthy plant and at the correct season, then the use of such hormones
is usually of no advantage whatsoever. They should be used with
knowledge, and only as and when they are likely to achieve an effect. .
.. . .
. . . it is important to understand one or two basic premises.
Firstly, that the concentration of hormone applied to induce root
formation is not the best concentration to cause root development.
Secondly, although the hormone may be absorbed through the bark, most of
the hormone will be taken up through the cut base of the stem cutting.
In actually applying the hormone therefore take care to touch
only the basal cut surface on to the powder so that no powder adheres to
the outside of the stem . . .
By applying the hormone the roots are induced to form, but if
they emerge and come into contact with the hormone still on the bark
this may cause the roots to die off. "

-------------

Years ago, when I first read this, I experimented by using rooting
powder for half my cuttings and none for the other half. There was
absolutely no difference in the success rate between the two methods.
For the layman, hormone rooting powder is a complete and utter con; just
another way of making money out of the poor gullible general public for
the big chemical companies (

And, quoting Rod Craddock, another urgler, -
Another thing which is not as widely known as it should be, obviously
you don't shout it too loud if you're selling the stuff, is that it has
practically no shelf life, it's probably already past it's best when you
buy it and pretty well useless soon after you first open it.
I dabbled a bit with rooting hormones when propagating shrubs
commercially and found it very difficult to get consistent repeatable
results even though we mixed fresh solutions each time.

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 10-03-2003, 05:20 PM
gray bale

Sorry I must have missed out somewhere, as you obviously have not read my
question ???

Basically what is the difference between alpha and beta Naphthaleneacetic
Acid (NAA), and can I buy alpha Naphthaleneacetic Acid (NAA) ?????

Old 10-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Martin Sykes

"gray bale" wrote in message
Sorry I must have missed out somewhere, as you obviously have not read my
question ???

Basically what is the difference between alpha and beta Naphthaleneacetic
Acid (NAA), and can I buy alpha Naphthaleneacetic Acid (NAA) ?????

I don't understand much of this but this document seems to be about the
effects of 1-Naphthaleneacetic and 2-Naphthaleneacetic ( alpha and beta ).
It describes the alpha as an active auxin and the beta as an inactive
analogue. From what I read, 1-NAA causes a lot of extra lateral root growth
but 2-NAA is little better than plain water.

http://147.46.94.112/e_journals/pdf_...14_9939207.pdf

So, Jane's right that 2-NAA isn't much good for anything although I think
it usually includes a fungicide which probably helps keep the cutting
healthy for longer while the roots form under their own steam.

As for buying 1-NAA, I did find some sites selling it for example this one
in the States has a couple of branded rooting formulas containg it:

http://www.bhocenter.com/Propag/1Propag.html

Martin

Old 10-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Rod

"gray bale" wrote in message
I am told that the hormone rooting powder you normally buy is Beta
Naphthaleneacetic Acid (NAA).

But the commerical growers use Alpha Naphthaleneacetic Acid (NAA).

Anybody have any experience of this, or even where I can get some from ??

You'll probably only be able to get it in commercial packs and it's
expensive.
I got all I've forgotten about plant propagation from
Hartmann & Kester - 'Plant Propagation Principles & Practice' Prentice Hall
Nov 2001 ISBN: 0136792359

The early edition I have is at work so I can't look it up for you atm. Try
and order it from your local library or the RHS Lindley library. Still the
propagator's bible.

Rod

Old 10-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray bale View Post
I am told that the hormone rooting powder you normally buy is Beta
Naphthaleneacetic Acid (NAA).

But the commercial growers use Alpha Naphthaleneacetic Acid (NAA).

Anybody have any experience of this, or even where I can get some from ??
Hi there, did you ever get hold of any Naphthalene acetic acid (NAA)? I've JUST READ IT CAN BE USED TO REDUCE BUD/FLOWER DROP ON CHILLIES. The chillies I'm growing at the moment are dropping like flies and I have tried everything else I can think of.

thanks for your help Karen

Hormone rooting powder - sell by date?? thesquire United Kingdom 25 14-01-2006 01:14 AM
Where to buy IBA and NAA rooting hormone? Ed Clarke Gardening 0 08-08-2005 09:13 PM
rooting powder Phil L United Kingdom 4 06-04-2005 11:15 PM
white "powder" on acanthus chaz United Kingdom 4 01-06-2003 11:44 PM
yellow powder on my grass? tim Gardening 3 25-01-2003 05:40 AM