Old 20-05-2014, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bulb questions...

On 5/19/2014 10:36 PM, elfa45 wrote:
I live in Marin County, CA...just across the Golden Gate Bridge. I just bought
some quality bulbs on sale for dutch iris, lilium, and bearded iris.

Should I plant them now or just keep them dry and plant in the fall? The cold
weather (such as it is) has passed.

I already had some of each planted ages ago which bloomed just recently and are
now in the process of turning brown.

Bearded iris are not true bulbs. They are rhizomes. They should be
planted immediately since the plants tend to be evergreen and not die
down like true bulbs.

Dutch iris and lilies, however, are indeed true bulbs. They should be
stored in a slightly damp medium (sand, sawdust, peat moss) until fall
and then planted.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see