Old 21-05-2014, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Bearded Iris ( Bulb questions...)

In article
elfa45 writes:

I also had trans-planted (long ago and gifted from a neighbor) nine bearded iris
plants but only two produced any flowers. Maybe I should have added some plant
food/fertilizer?

While I have grown bearded iris for years, I have not experimented
much with the advice that I have read. That said, the advice I read
long ago was that bearded iris will not bloom if they are planted
too deep. The rhizomes should (I am told) be at least a little
exposed above the soil level.

It may be chance, but that is how I have always planted/replanted
them, and the only failure to bloom I've seen is in the plants this
year, which were transplanted much later than they should have been
last year. (One of four is blooming.)

I've rarely done much to feed iris, other than keeping a mulch for
the worms to work in. They seem to do pretty well in pretty poor
clay, though I couldn't say how.

All of that is living in seasonal climates (Ohio and N. Virginia).
I never grew iris in a freeze-free climate (though I know they do well).

--
Drew Lawson | Broke my mind