Old 22-05-2014, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Bearded Iris ( Bulb questions...)

On 22/05/2014 1:25 AM, elfa45 wrote:
In article , Fran Farmer says...

They also don't like being crowded. If left too long before being
lifted and separated, they don't flower well. Additionally once each
rhizome has flowered, that rhizome won't flower again but it will
produce new rhizomes in the late summer and these will usually flower
int he following summer.

I think this is my problem. They have been in the ground for about a year.
They don't show any signs of producing anything...so maybe this summer? I'm
about ready to just dig them up and toss out to make room for something else.

You should be able to leave them undisturbed for at least 3 years before
they'd be considered to be too crowded because they grow and crowd
themselves out. If you've crammed them in amongst other plants so that
they are crowded form the start then that could (just could) be a problem.

Check first to make sure that a) you haven't planted them too deep (the
rhizome should show at least a third above the soil) and b) they are
getting enough heat and light (at least 6 hours of full sun per day)
and, c) you haven't over fed them so that they are producing lots of
leaves but no flowers.