Old 01-06-2014, 07:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default It's songbird's fault

Fran Farmer wrote:
I try to grow citrus but in my climate it's a bit iffy. I've managed
to get some lemons but each year lose my mandarins and it's too cold
here for oranges. I should do what you do and put some in my sunroom
- it's certainly big enough to take big pots of citrus.

You could have an oragerie. They were all the rage in the royal houses
of Europe. The odd thing was they mainly liked the smell of the flowers
not the fruit.

I cna't say that I blame them. I love the smell of orange blossom.

And you don't have a bunch of beefy footmen to schlep
them about. The sun king had one 150m long with thousdands of trees!

I'll settle for one footman and only one maid and I'll move the orange
trees myself with the aid of my trusty trolley.