Old 14-06-2014, 03:54 AM
Katydid Katydid is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another John View Post
Simple question: can oasis be reconstituted?

My wife and I are not flower arrangers as such, but we do a bit now and
again, and we have various odd bits of this interesting stuff lying
around. As with every single, solitary thing around our household, we
are reluctant to throw it away.

Ta
John
There seem to be several issues
1. Because some flowers are especially susceptible to bacteria, is that a problem with re-use of floral foam?...and if so, would allowing it to dry completely out eliminate that as a problem.

2. Folks say they can't re-wet it after it dries out from first use. I have been able to do that - not in the two minutes the Oasis company says first use takes. Curious if there is a science reason behind re-wetting issues or if the product they make for floral preservative is a possible conflict.

3. Air pockets. General guidelines say not to re-use old holes, flip foam and use new side and even with first use,do not pull up stem to reposition as stem width hole below will not fill with water. Hmmm...

4, If you need the arrangement to NOT MOVE FROM YOUR BRILLIANT DESIGN ONE BIT - get new floral foam. Otherwise, you can enlarge and lengthen existing holes to come out other side - Then the floral foam acts like the old glass disks with holes in them and merely supports the stem or two loosely. You cannot accidently tip the arrangement and expect it to not need attention with this method. An even looser version is using the coiled aluminum wire method.