Old 09-09-2014, 01:25 AM
Thje Lady Wicca Thje Lady Wicca is offline
Registered User

Location: Hines, Oregn USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
This year, after 6 years, I am going to re do my rose garden. I have had a horrible time with deer and was about to totally give up BUT I have found a way to install an electric fence that won't be too ugly and it will still allow me easy access for gardening.
The roses themselves are in terrible shape. To be honest I think most (there are 7) of them will need to be replaced. I would like to keep a few of the originals and the biggest problem with them is Black Spot. My plan is to strip all the foliage and cut the canes back. They are mulched with pine bark. Do I trash the pine bark and put plastic over the dirt to get rid of the black spot? Then re apply new pine bark? Will that do the trick or is there something else that would work better? Also are there vine type vegetables that do well with Roses, like cucumbers perhaps? Thanks in advance and I look forward to having some activity in this group again !
MJ

I have a rose garden with 36 roses in it and I had nightmares about the deer eating them. My husband and I put in an Invisible Fence. it is black , about 8' tall and I surrounded the whole rose garden. It does not block the light and you really don't see it, almost invisible. It was well worth the money! I left my gate open one night and my dog told me something was wrong, I had 2 yearlings Mule deer in my garden. They lunged at the fence, but it held up. Black Spot - I use a a spray that takes care of them and spider mites. I would not put vine type in with my roses, unless you keep them away from the roses, as they will choke them doing damage of all sorts, plus it would invite pests.