Old 25-12-2014, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default all through the gardens

On 12/25/2014 10:53 AM, Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

not a creature was stirring,
not even a mouse...

I dunno 'bout that: "Rowdy" caught a fine one this morning. A
perquisite of being such a fine and dandy feline. Field mice and tree
rats come with the territory :-)

hope everyone has a wonderful and
peaceful holiday,

TYVM indeed. Extending same to you and to all others in the ng

58° cloudy Christmas morning following an evening rain. Joe Pass
on the box. I'm keeping my old ass indoors because everything outside's
still wet and chilly. Garden is sporting peas which should last 'til
the first really-real freeze; mustard greens, collards, garlic, onions,
a handful of carrots, a few standard seasonings and that's about it.
Trying ginger (in a container) for the first time. Still waiting
for the foliage to die in the fall; right. Maybe in January....

I grew ginger in the ground in Louisiana one year, took two years to get
it all out of the ground. Stuff is just as bad as Jerusalem artichoke,
finally had to burn both of them out of the garden. Nowadays I just go
on line every two or three years and buy a big can of prepared ginger
with sugar. Keeps me happy and no extra work.

We had a light frost early this morning, had covered the eggplant and
pepper plants with an old sheet, they seem to be okay.