Old 03-01-2015, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default National Trust walled gardens

On 03/01/2015 15:41, Bob Hobden wrote:
I understand the National Trust is to try to bring back a significant
number of it's walled gardens into production. My problem is that I've
heard they intend to remake the old greenhouses as they were, all manual
and in wood, instead of using modern materials and automation and things
like double glazing for the orchid houses. Personally I think that is
crazy as the old Head Gardeners would never have countenanced such a
retrograde step.
What do others think?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

I wonder, is the next move to bring back arsenic poisoning and DDT (in
tune with the appropriate era), and scythes outside the greenhouses? I
doubt it. I have no problem with wooden greenhouses and, if NT have
enough educated staff (paid by us), they may even manage without
automatic vents, but I don't see how they can ignore modern horticulture
altogether. It would certainly dent their choice of plants. Pay
packets would be limited, too *and* it would break a few laws. I wonder
if they'd be prepared to pay Glass Tax.

All in all, I think it's nonsense. The NT seems to be cherry-picking
the bits of history it wants leaving the rest. They're not putting on a
period drama for a few months, but running a garden for many years.
They may very well change it now but, a few years down the line, I
reckon they'll be changing it back. I'm not sure I want to pay for that.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London