Old 15-01-2015, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default plum eater in residence

I went to fix the net round my plum tree which has lots of nearly ripe
plums. This is who I found waiting inside the net:

http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/Ha...ml?sort=2&o=35

This is one of the macrobats, they feed on fruit, nectar and blossom and
they don't do echo location. They hunt at night by sight (and smell),
hence the smallish ears and big eyes. Bats are one of the few groups of
placental mammals that are native to Oz.

The apparent cuteness belies a very sharp set of teeth and a willingness
to use them. He/she objected violently to being expelled, that stare is
using excellent binocular vision to line up on me so that the second I
get in range I can be accurately bitten.

Once I get them out of the net (leather gauntlets obligatory) they have
to be thrown up in the air as they are unable to take off from the ground.

How do they taste when roasted? G