Old 16-01-2015, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default plum eater in residence

George Shirley wrote:
I went to fix the net round my plum tree which has lots of nearly
ripe plums. This is who I found waiting inside the net:

http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/Ha...ml?sort=2&o=35

This is one of the macrobats, they feed on fruit, nectar and blossom
and they don't do echo location. They hunt at night by sight (and
smell), hence the smallish ears and big eyes. Bats are one of the
few groups of placental mammals that are native to Oz.

The apparent cuteness belies a very sharp set of teeth and a
willingness to use them. He/she objected violently to being
expelled, that stare is using excellent binocular vision to line up
on me so that the second I get in range I can be accurately bitten.

Once I get them out of the net (leather gauntlets obligatory) they
have to be thrown up in the air as they are unable to take off from
the ground.

How do they taste when roasted? G

There isn't much meat on them, all skin and hinges. And they are protected.

--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.