Old 12-05-2015, 11:09 AM posted to aus.gardens
[email protected] swallis753@gmail.com is offline

Default Crimson Bottlebrush and allergies?

On Tuesday, October 28, 2008 at 7:54:59 AM UTC+10, Xilander Xinandu wrote:
G'day,

does anyone here have any experience with allergic symptons after
working with flourishing Crimson Bottlebrush trees?

I read about symptoms similar to hay fever when sniffing the flowers,
but I am more wondering about a large rash after skin contact with the
tree or its flowers. Is that something that others have experienced?

- Xilander

Yes, I have an allergy to Bottlebrush Trees, I have only just discovered this and I am quite shocked about this as I have been blaming my raised very red itchy, inflamed skin on insect bites as the beginning of hives always start with spots like bites. I put the Bottlebrush to the test by deliberately rubbing a flower against the inside of my forearm to test if there is a reaction and sure enough next morning I had very itchy, red, inflamed hives!