Old 13-05-2015, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Daffodils

"philgurr" wrote

"Malcolm Race" wrote in message
I have some naturalsid bulbs which finished flowering 2-3weeka agoI hve
grown them in this place for about 10 years and have always wondered if
there is a rule og thumb as to when it is time to cut the tops off. They
are looking very untidy because of the recent strong winds

Any suggestions?

The Cornish Daffodil growers carried out an experiment some years ago
in which they examined the best time to cut off the tops of the plant. They
had the best result by cutting off the tops as soon as the bulbs had
flowered.
They concluded that the foliage had already produced sufficient nutrition
for the bulbs to flower the following year and that the bulbs were
healthier
by not allowing pathogens to be transmitted down to the bulb by leaving
the folliage on. I have always cut down the daffodils immediately after
flowering and the plants have increased in health and numbers.

Presumably they had been well fed during the flowering/growing period too.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.