Old 19-05-2015, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default End of "grandfather rights"

On 19/05/2015 07:51, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 18/05/15 19:43, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,

Merely strong dilute, surely? Concentrated would oxidise quite
quite a lot of the cyanide on the way out!

You are, or course, correct. Not sure why I put "Conc". It actually
states 1:2 sulphuric acid: water, making it around 33%.

Apparently, that method was used on ships against rats, had to
be done in the hold (cyanide is very light), and the electricity
had to be off. The people who did it needed to study the way
out when on the way in very carefully! That's reliable second-
hand information, by the way.

No doubt. Makes you wonder how many didn't make it!

I remember when I was first in horticulture we had a Dutch light
structure approx 90 ft long and 12 bays wide and we would put
formaldehyde through the spray lines to clean it; we could turn the
lines enough to wash the glass. then we would fumigate by burning
alternating piles of sulphur and Nicotine shreds. 2 of us lighting the
piles and making sure we moved fast, you didn't go back to a pile that
didn't catch.
Those were the days!