Old 26-05-2015, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default how long for pyrethrin?

On 26/05/2015 18:52, Emery Davis wrote:
On Tue, 26 May 2015 14:14:09 +0100, Spider wrote:

Perhaps it would help to use a systemic insecticide while the
infestation is so damaging. That way, the bugs should ingest the toxin
and die. Once the shrub has hardened off a bit, it should be less
yummy. You can always revert to pyrethin for smaller outbreaks, so it
won't be wasted.

Hi Spider, hope you're well.

Yes, thank you. Just been away on holiday for a while.

I went and looked at the shrub again this evening as it happens. It's
looking pretty good although the larvae have made some progress, it's
nothing like in previous years: the flowers are intact and looking fine
as is most of the new growth. There are still some larvae but nothing
like before, it may be that the plant will be able to outgrow them.

I sprayed a little pyrethrin underneath where I found some of the
buggers, but was trying to be careful as the Weigela next to it is
blooming and full of bees.

I think you're right though, next year I'll do a systemic early in the
season, before the larvae hatch.

cheers,

-E

Sounds like a good plan. Hope you manage to keep them under control.
The more that survive to adulthood, the more weevils you'll have biting
lumps out of the leaves:~(
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London