Old 27-05-2015, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_3_] Pam Moore[_3_] is offline

Default hepatica query

On Wed, 27 May 2015 17:31:24 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

a friend and I bought, at a yellow book garden 3 or 4 years ago,
plants labelled just "hepatica".
Mine is still in the same soil in the same pot I put it in when I
brought it home. It has lovely shiny, heart-shaped leaves.
Hers is also healthy but in the ground.
Neither have ever flowered..... BUT ... on looking at mine today, and
cutting off some of the dead leaves, I find things which can only be
seed pods, on short stalks, hidden below the leaves.
Can anyone give me a name of what hepatica this might be?
Do some flower below the leaves?
When should I look for flowers?
My sight is not so bad that I wouldnt see the flowers we've been
hoping for unless they were well hidden.

Could it be something quite different, Arisarum proboscideum?

https://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pl_id=326

Janet

Thank you Janet. You have got me thinking, but it is not that, though
I am wondering if mine really is hepatica. It was bought labelled as
such. I've been looking it up on Google and most hepaticas seem to
have tri-lobed leaves. These are rich dark green, very glossy, round
and heart shaped, not pointed, up to 2 inches across. Pictures I've
found of the seed pods are quite different from the ones I've found.
I must try and set up a photo-sharing page and take some photos.
My friend is equally mystified. She has much more plant-knowledge than
I have, and says she has had hepaticas before, from Ashwoods and has
also grown Arisarum and is sure it's not that.
We have both had the plants 3 or 4 years and have not noticed flowers,
just feeling hard-done-by that we had non-flowering plants!