Old 28-05-2015, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
philgurr philgurr is offline

Default Query: Wild flower meadow

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
Am I right in thinking that the time to sow wild flower seeds is late summer, when the
natural plants would be producing seed?

And where is the best place to buy such seed in quantity and get it delivered?

Yes, many wildflower species need to stratify over winter before they
will germinate. If you want a colourful meadow of such species as
poppy, corn marigold, cornflower, mayweed etc., you will need to
disturb the ground every autumn for the flowers to re-appear the
following year. If you require perennial wildflower meadow,
consider growing some species in pots and transplanting them
into the meadow once it has established. Wildflower seeds will
not flourish on ground with a high nutrient level so if your ground is
high in nutrients, consider regular mowing and removal of all cut
grass for two or three years before sowing seed. It is also an advantage
to ask for additional yellow rattle seed to be included as this is a
parasite on grass.

In my experience the best supplier of wildflower seed and mixtures
is John Chambers Wildflower Seed www.johnchamberswildflowers.co.uk
alternatively you could contact Emorsgate Seeds www.wildseed.co.uk. They
may be more expensive but they do have the royal warrant for supply to
Prince Charles.

Phil