Old 21-06-2015, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Feeding Runner Beans?

On 21/06/2015 10:46, Derek Turner wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 10:35:05 +0100, Judith in England wrote:

I have always fed mine: liquid feed every couple of weeks.

I have just watched two videos on runner beans: both said not to feed
them.

What do others do please?

Depends on the health of your soil. One thing they definitely will NOT
need is nitrogen, nodules in their roots fix atmospheric N2. So it's P
and K you MIGHT need to feed. A dressing of blood and bone when planting
would probably do that. If the soil is in good heart and the bed is in a
rotation system I wouldn't bother to feed at all. YMMV.

I'd give then a balanced feed for the first few weeks as the roots wont
be fixing any nitrogen till the plants are in flower, so you will have
to help them get good early growth.