Old 22-06-2015, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Feeding Runner Beans?

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 10:35:05 +0100, Judith in England wrote:

I have always fed mine: liquid feed every couple of weeks.

I have just watched two videos on runner beans: both said not to feed
them.

What do others do please?

Depends on the health of your soil. One thing they definitely will NOT
need is nitrogen, nodules in their roots fix atmospheric N2. So it's P
and K you MIGHT need to feed. A dressing of blood and bone when planting
would probably do that. If the soil is in good heart and the bed is in a
rotation system I wouldn't bother to feed at all. YMMV.

I am a fan of fish.blood and bone but have never tried it with runner beans.
I have a knipfofia that planted itself under a wall without much soil and it
did 3 or 4 spikes until this year when I threw some some fbb at it. 11
spikes.