Old 29-06-2015, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default First garlic harvest

Gary Woods wrote:
songbird wrote:

i purposely grow green garlic to use like green
onions (burying the cloves a few inches deeper than
normal) because it grows very easily here as compared
to green onions.

A commercial grower I know takes all the small cloves left over at planting
time (you know, the "tweeners" and others too small to make a good bulb
next year) and throws them at the end of a bed, to be harvested next spring
for green garlic. Good cash source at a time of the year when not much
else is feeding the till! He has a goodly Asian community nearby, which
helps.

that's the first time i've heard of anyone selling
green garlic commercially. i love cooking with it or
eating it right out of the ground when i'm out weeding
it's not too rare for me to pull up some garlic and
chomp on it right there.

some year's i've buried five gallon buckets full of
scapes or the tiny cloves i've found during processin in
deep holes because i can't ever use all of them for
planting. the worms take care of 'em. worms also seem
to thrive off garlic pieces and left over chaff from
peeling and sorting through them. i cut the cloves near
the bottom to keep them from resprouting if i'm going to
feed them to the worm bins as otherwise they'll keep
trying to regrowing for quite some time.

songbird